• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which DVD Writer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NovaShine

Well, to start off, im a complete noob at optical drives so anyway, since im leaving HK for Australia and Hardware in Australia is really expensive compared to here, im going to be buying a few things before i leave, which includes a DVD writer.

So, what's the current favorite around here? This is going to be replacing a 5 yr old Sony 32x CD-Writer and it's going to be working alongside a Samsung 52x Combo Drive.

Im going to be burning the occasional DVD once in a while, but one of the most important things to me is CD/DVD read speeds.

Thanks for any response.

yea, i read that, but i was looking for some comparison between drives. Ive read the Anandtech one and it seems the plextor is comming out on top, followed closely by the asus one.

But, from what i hear, NEC and Pioneer drives seem to be the favorites, followed by Plextor and Lite-On due to their fast read speeds and LG is generally liked because it burns and reads everything.

I run the Plextor 712a. I just installed it a few weeks ago and have not had real chance to test all it's goodies. I do however wish I'd waited for the 716 which from what I understand writes dual layer which the 712a does not.

Well, unless NEC forgot how to make a dvd burner overnight I'd say that would be a great choice if that model is available to you. It will be a little while before newegg has it.

Just got this one
newburner.jpg

It is... well... the best :)
Happy Holidays!

Back