• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warning: non-matching MP Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChasR

I finished my new dualie using an ASUS NCCH-DL (bios NCCDL03) with Xeon 3.0 Noconas (800MHz fsb, 1MB L2 cache). On post it recognizes 2 processors as Xeon 3.0 but after ide boot, it gives this warning message:
Warning: non-matching MP Processor
multiprocessing capable processors have been detected in your system. However, both processors must be the same model and frequency to run in multi-processing mode. Your system will continue to boot in uni-processor mode.

If one cpu is a SL7DW stepping D0 and the other is a SL7TC stepping E0 would they be seen as identical by the motherboard/bios? I probably solved my own problem here and need to rma the D0 for another E0.

Usually Dual processors are able to work no matter steppings,Exception s is the Newer AMD Dual processors and soem older Pentium chips..

Dual processors even different speed processor will work together.Excpet in rare occasions..

Did you use the Asus cooler mounting system? I had a little trouble with mine... if you had the same trouble, it might explain it... on CPU1 the left plastic mount hits 2 small components(resistors?) on the mobo... it can even break them off.

CRFIII said:
Did you use the Asus cooler mounting system? I had a little trouble with mine... if you had the same trouble, it might explain it... on CPU1 the left plastic mount hits 2 small components(resistors?) on the mobo... it can even break them off.
The Asus system worked perfectly in conjunction with the new intel coolers (massive copper heatsinks) provided with the Nocona cpus. But, I'm a little lost on the plastic mount part. On my NCCH-DL, there are two metal plates that glue onto the motherboard tray. Each plate has four standoffs and a rubber pad that must be chosen, from the three sets Asus included, to match the height of the standoffs provided by the case manufacturer. There are no plastic parts. Did the plastic part that causes the interference come with the mobo or the heatsink/fan? The only mistake I see that one coud make would be choosing the wrong height Asus standoff and pad. Too short and you'll bow the motherboard inward and perhaps damage it. Too long and the heatsink won't contact the cpu or the pad will bow the mobo outward.

Indeed... the plastic mounts may have came with the coolers... I'll look...

You're right... here are the coolers I got...

Ebay coolers

How do your coolers mount... are they heatpipe setups?

I used the retail Intel coolers which mount directly to the Asus mounting plate with 4 screws. No heatpipes but each of the copper heatsinks weighs in at just over 2 lbs. I've got a Coolermaster Stacker case which is nice. Could be the problem you're experiencing relates to using rack mount (1U) form factor coolers on a ATX board?

Evidentally... Xeon platform coolers should work on either(1U/ATX/EPS+12:~) though shouldn't they... bolt pattern and bolts were perfect...

I fixed it by grinding alittle off the plastic mount to clear the components... it fit well except for making contact with these two tiny resistors(I guess that's what they are:~)...

Anyway... did you try switching CPUs?

Last edited:
I swithced CPUs to make sure both worked, and they did, but got the same message. Ewiz (board supplier) technical support confirmed my suspicion that they have to be the same stepping on this board. Newegg (CPU supplier) agreed to rma the D0 for an E0 which should arrive this week.
I don't have much experience with rack mount computers and their components. I would expect them to move the resistors, capacitors, etc away from the cpu so as to accomodate the low profile heatsink. The bottom of the retail Intel ATX heatsink steps up 6mm to go over the rows of capacitors above and below each socket. They use a different heatsink for rack mount applications.

zeta_m said:
Like ChasR, I got the same warning message using NCCH-DL. Is there no solution other than to change one of the processors?

i have read of this problem with D1 and M0 stepping prestonias on this board as well...

but, even if the bios warns of non-matching cpus, does windows xp pro still detect and use multiple cpus (as seen in the task manager)? what about linux as well?

will put this info in the sticky

In my case I didn't install the OS until bios reported both CPUs functioning. I was too lazy to risk installing Win Serv 2003 twice. Installing 2 E0 stepping Noconas did fix the problem.

I get the same error once in awhile on boot up on Iwill MPX2 with 2100 xp's modded to 2400 mp's. Doesnt happen all the time, but every once in awhile, shutting down and reboot and it goes away. Must be the way the board reads them sometimes at boot up.

Back