• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone know what toolbar this is an how to remove it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fightingpiper

Trying to rid my brothers fiance's computer of junk and I cant seem to get rid of this damn thing under the googletoolbar and on the bottom of the page. I have run adaware, spybot, spysweeper, hijack this, cwshreddar, and others and it still keeps coming back. sometime right away after a reboot or maybe a little while later. ITs also something that is popping up adds on the machine even tho I have the googletoolbar blocker enabled and SP2's blocker enabled also.
hijack.JPG

As far as the toolbar goes, you can go to view>toolbars and uncheck this toolbar. I'm not sure of getting rid of it completely though. Try add or remove programs. I have found some spyware in there.

dicecca112 said:
run adware, probably hijacked useless IE, switch to mozilla already, and loose all the spyware threats.
Ok thanks for the pointers but if you would have read my post you would have found out that it is NOT my computer so I cant regulate which browser is used and and also as stated in my post adaware was run......

anyone with some suggestions I haven't already tried?

i had exactly the same problem. It was msn plus plugin, uninstall that if you have it andit should cure the problem.

Fightingpiper, I would need the name or filenames to really help you... If it keeps coming back, then it is probably repeatedly found by adaware or spybot - so if you can check out what the name is I'm sure we can find you good instructions or a tool for removal.

I don't hardly know any infections by looking at the toolbar.

andyl33t said:
i had exactly the same problem. It was msn plus plugin, uninstall that if you have it andit should cure the problem.
Thanks I think that what it might be (have seen that in the add/remove programs)..... :attn:

will let you know what I find.

threeme2189 said:
spyware is da devil!!!!!
i say format and teach the owner to take care of what goes into his computer.

Theres no real reason to format just because of a toolbar or any spyware in that case..

If you get really desperate, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar and delete all the entries in there.

If it comes back, then the user is running a program that is actively reinstalling it each time.

Well I am almost positive it was the MSNPLUS plugin that installed the toolbar as it was going to lop.com. I guess there is an option of not installing it along with the msnplus software but obviously they didn't uncheck it when it was installed. I still couldn't get the thing off even after uninstalling the MSNPLUS crap but I got all the rest of the stuff.

I took the explorer Icon off the desktop and installed firefox so and told them to use that from now on. Also installed AVG and ZoneAlarm as they are on Dialup. I had to give them it back this weekend when I saw them for Christmas because they live a few hours away. Thanks for the help guys.

I am familiar with a lop infection - it can be removed with HiJackThis.

You need to download the latest version of HJT from www.majorgeeks.com and place the exe in its own directory, not in a temp file or on the desktop (put it in C:\program files\hjt). Then attach the logfile to your post. I can tell you which lines to remove if no one else beats me to it.

This infection is a PITA, but HJT can cut its balls off. :)

I dont have the computer anymore but I will take a look at it the next time I am out there. Prolly in a month or so. I had the Hijack this log down to only a few lines of stuff and didn't see any things that looked like the lop.com crap. But I will post it the next time I get a hold of the computer.

Thanks

Jeff

Back