• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron D...is D0 or C0 better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
I just bought a Celeron D 2.4ghz from a friend for $40. I thought it was a pretty good deal. The stepping is SL7JV. It appears to be a D0 chip. Is this better than the C0? I have been out of the intel loop for a while now. The AI7 for this cpu comes in the mail on monday :)

-Collin-

Yes, the D0 is a newer stepping than the C0 and on average will O/C a tad better. Those Celeron D processors are usually good overclockers.

batboy said:
Yes, the D0 is a newer stepping than the C0 and on average will O/C a tad better. Those Celeron D processors are usually good overclockers.

OK, so 4ghz on a stock heatsink is do-able then? :D :beer:

-Collin-

You got a nice deal on the cpu, from where. This cpu should reach 4gig+, not sure if with stock cooling, or a bit better is required.
Thanks

Yeah, I was sort of joking, but why not try? :)

I am going to buy a nice heatsink for it with my frys gift certificate....we'll see what she can do. I am tempted to sell it and get a 2.4a prescott, but we'll see how it does first. If I can do 4ghz on air...I'm going to keep it!

-Collin-

4 gig with the stock heatsink? No way! Since the highest socket 478 CPU is 3.4 gig, the stock cooler might be ok up to that speed if you can run default vcore and have decent case ventilation. Once you have to start bumping up vcore, the stock cooler becomes sort of worthless.

batboy said:
4 gig with the stock heatsink? No way! Since the highest socket 478 CPU is 3.4 gig, the stock cooler might be ok up to that speed if you can run default vcore and have decent case ventilation. Once you have to start bumping up vcore, the stock cooler becomes sort of worthless.

I'll probably end up with an xp90 or a 948u. We'll see from there...

-Collin-

Now, I just have to wait for fedex to bring the board. Monday :(

If I might ask your guys' opinions, do you think I'd be better off with a 2.4a prescott pentium 4? It is a little more expensive, but I can afford it. Since I have BH6 ram, I can't get much above 230mhz, so I think that an affordable northwood will need too high a fsb. This is the whole reason I'm looking at the 533mhz processors. This way, I am sure that ram won't be my limiting factor for a nice oc.

-Collin-

I got a Celeron-D 2.4Ghz D0 a month ago. I was able to overclock to 3.6Ghz stable with stock voltage and stock fan (though I used Arctic silver 5 compound instead of the thermal pad). The limit was around 3.7-3.8Ghz but at 3.6Ghz this gives exactly 200Mhz bus clock for a perfect 1:1 bus for DDR400 RAM. Also above 200Mhz bus clock 865 based motherboards turn off PAT, so 3.6Ghz is the ideal overclock for it. Good deal at $40 thats almost half price!

Back