• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dell 1905fp ghosting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djcomp

Registered
I just got this dell ultrasharp 1905fp 19" lcd monitor to replace my 2 year old dell 17" lcd.
and unfortunately i don't think i experienced ghosting until now with the new monitor. and this monitor has better specs, 20 ms response, and dvi input, 800:1 contrast ratio. Refresh rate right now is 60hz and res is @ 1152x864.
I notice it when i watch videos (dvd or divx) that the image is lagging and when u have a quick movement it blurs and u see the image twice so to say.
my setting have not changed since i changed monitors, but the picture seems to have on this monitor. any suggestions as to what else i shoud change or settings to check or maybe software to test it with. Whatever it is, it is very noticable to me. thanks for any help

1152x864 is not the native resolution of that panel. It's going to look like junk at that. Set it to 1280x1024.

i did set it to native res also, but i still see the smearing/ghosting of the images. would different nvidia drivers help that?

That depends if there is anything wrong with the current drivers. What you are describing is a subjective thing, it's hard to know exactly what you are seeing from what you are saying.

I suggest you narrow things down some. If you have another display, hook it up and see if the problem lies in the monitor or the computer. Obviously changing video drivers will be of little use if the problem lies in the display itself.

Ok, i tried another monitor, actually 2....a dell 15" lcd and 17" lcd, neither of the ultra sharp naming and they look cleaner than this one. I tired it @ the resolution 1280x1024 @75 hz and i can still see the image after it changes, almost looks like a slow motion effect, but the movie is still in real time speeds. What should i consider? is it just the nature of this lcd monitor? i didn't think i would have this problem at all and that this monitor would be so much more clear than the other two, also since it has the 20ms response as opposed to 25ms on the other 2.

It sounds like you have an issue with your example of the 1905fp. My mother's is razor sharp and as far as I can tell does not exhibit whatever you are experiencing. I would call dell and see if they can shed any light on the situation. I just can't tell from what you are describing if you really have a problem or not.

You are using the DVI input, correct?

It is connected on the digital input, and i tried the analog also but has the same effects on the video, and any fast moving objects on the screen. I want to thank you for bearing with me thus far, i am describing it as best i can. My computer is detecting my Dell 1905fp with the digital connection on the GF4 ti4600. I am planning to give dell a call and see what their take on this might be. Possible i got a sub par monitor? I won't get my expectations too high for dell's response. I do want to try this monitor on another computer to compare. I'll see what happens. The monitor is great and i really don't want to go back to my 17" lcd" i've waited for a while to get this 19 and am a bit disappointed. It's showed me quantity in screen size, but not so much quality with the videos.

Well, the few videos that I played on my mom's unit looked OK. And her 1905fp in general is the nicest LCD I have seen. I think you chose wisely, and should you persist in sorting the situation will be rewarded. It's worth the effort. Let us know what you find, and yes, hooking the dell up to another computer would be a great next step.

I tried it on another computer and it looks the same. And so far, as i expected, dell has been useless. but i'm gonna try them again.

***edit***
i called dell, and they are gonna send me another one. but b4 they do, i am going to read some more forums and reviews to see what more people had to say. ghosting does seem to be a bit of an issue with this monitor, but it's worse than my 2 yr old 17" with a slower response time.

Last edited:
Back