• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 3.4e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIG-O-2

I just got my dad a new rig and it has a 3.4 prescott 478socket. How hot can this chip run before it dies? It is running at 62.5c at idle and about 65c load? I know Prescotts ran hot but man?

It has stock fan and heatsink!
no o/c

thanks

Those idle temps seem aweful high. Even stock cooling on a 3.4E should have you in the low 40's at idle. Need more information about what type of case, where do you have it located. Ambient temps. etc. Under full load you shouldn't get above the mid 60's to play it safe. By 70c it should do a thermal shutdown.

Last edited:
Idle temps being that high indicate poor case ventilation. Read the articles I have linked in my signature. You probably won't want to do everything in the articles, but it might give you some ideas. The side duct is especially good to install.

ok thanks for the info, it is a regular case 400w ps has one fan in rear just behind the cpu. The mother board is an ECS 848 and it was a combo from computer store, my 2.8 p4 has the same hsf and it runs at 40c - 50c but i have the northwood. I am thinking the hsf is crap, any ideas on a good hsf?

thanks

BIG-O-2 said:
ok thanks for the info, it is a regular case 400w ps has one fan in rear just behind the cpu. The mother board is an ECS 848 and it was a combo from computer store, my 2.8 p4 has the same hsf and it runs at 40c - 50c but i have the northwood. I am thinking the hsf is crap, any ideas on a good hsf?

thanks

I might be wrong here but the 3.4e should have a diffrent hsf than your 2.8c there should be a copper core and it should have fins that distribute the air around the entire cpu instead of just left to right on the 2.8c

Replace the stock cooler. Make sure it's applied properly, and making good contact. The XP-90 and XP-120 are good replacments, as well as the Zalman 7000 copper sink, i can't recall its exact model, but it's copper (there are a few similar, but not all copper). And as Batboy said, if you haven't already, read his articles, they can help in your cooling a lot. Also, it is possible your motherboards temp sensor is reading a tad on the hot side, maybe try a thermal probe to guage it a little better. It won't be exact, but it'll give you an idea how far off your sensors really are.

Water cool? Or read Batboy's article. It's worth it, well written and definitely an advantage over any stock case. Ventilation and a good heatsink should have you around 40 idle.....correct me if I'm wrong. Remember, Abit overstates temps ~5 C and Asus understates temps by ~ 5C.....oh joy.

The best heatsink, for me, was the Coolermaster Hyper 6. It is heavy but they give you a STEEL backing plate for the back of the mobo. My temps with a 3.2E were 39 idle and about 49-52 under load. I tried the XP-120 also and it was about 3-5C warmer than my Hyper 6.

Not sure if it was a stock hsf but it did come with the processor and motherboard, it has copper center and aluminum fins air can flow through and out in all directions. The computer store claims the hsf will cool a 3.6gig machine?

I will look into a Zalman 7000 copper sink, I have heard about those before and I have one on my athlon made by the same people it cools great.

As far as the case it really has good air flow and I put a fan in the rear to help out. The PS has 2 fans in it, I could put more but the case breaths pretty good I think. The back is pretty open with holes and so is the front, cheap case but built with heat in mind I think. I set the bios to turn the system off if it got to 70c and he told me it has not turned off yet so that is good I guess?

Anyway thanks again, I will try to find a new hsf 1/5/05 my next day off.

He loves the new machine, he said it screams like nothing he has ever seen before. And want to get me something for all the trouble of going and getting everything, I told him a stick of DDR3200 512MB would be nice. I think he got it yesterday he called to ask about the exact kind I use.

ok that sounds right the hsf for your 2.8c should just be alum with the fins running left to right. when you said they had the same hsf I thought maybe wherever you got the cpu from might have given you the old northwood under 3ghz hsf.

ok got the Zalman 7000 copper aluminum sink, it is running at 56c load by prime95 in torque mix setting. I can live with that, man the Prescott's run hotter than any Athlon I have now?

Thanks all and I will let that cooler break in then give you an update.

David

Back