• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stop messenger from running

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o770

Hello pals.
Is there any switch to stop messenger from running when I open my hotmail account?

Open Messenger | Tools | Options | "Preferences" tab | Uncheck "Allow Windows Messenger to run in the backround", and "Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts".

The version of mine is 6.2. I can't find "allow windows messenger to run in the background".
Is there any hidden switch that anybody knows to disallow it from running in the backgrd? I've found the binary value: DSBkgndMode. Will that do it? thanks

Last edited:
o770 said:
The version of mine is 6.2. I can't find "allow windows messenger to run in the background".
Is there any hidden switch that anybody knows to disallow it from running in the backgrd? I've found the binary value: DSBkgndMode. Will that do it? thanks

It should just be in the options ... I don't use MSN anymore but it used to be in there. If you want a good alternative solution, try Trillian - it's 5 chat programs in one and works really well.

redduc900, It runs automatically everytime I log in to my webmail (hotmail account).

I can't remove the application as I'm in a shared environment

Don't remove the application then. You can completely disable it so it never runs from the options.

Can you install new programs on your PC?

o770 said:
redduc900, It runs automatically everytime I log in to my webmail (hotmail account).
Ahhh, I see what you mean now. AFAIK this is by design, and can't be turned off...maybe with the next version of Messenger.

Silmatharien said:
Don't remove the application then. You can completely disable it so it never runs from the options.

Can you install new programs on your PC?

I'm the administrator. Do u happen to know if the program you'll recommend to me has any user based profile so I can disable messenger at least under my account?

JeffP said:
I always use this guys VB script to remove Windows Messenger. I hate that program and the fact MS tries to shove it down your throat makes me want it gone even more. It also has manual insturctions to remove it.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

Jeff

C:\Windows\inf\sysoc.inf

open that and remove the ,Hide from anything - it will then show up in add/remove programs and you can uninstall it :)

that is if you were able to do that,

disabling it by the options sounds all well and good, but when i did that on my slightly older 1.8ghz 256mb rambus ram setup msmsg.exe would still show up on my list of services* (i can't remember exact and i am at school) but it would regularly start going balls to the wall eating up my ram and cpu cycles.
So i tried to bring it up and fix it but i never really got it fixed well before the hdd went kaput

Another easy way is renaming the folder messenger to messengerOFF
\program files\messengerOFF that is.. :D

Back