• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Packets vs Regular ones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BC|Wulf

Is there a difference between the big packets and the regular ones besides the point value?

I don't really care about the points but if one benfits the cause more than the other I would like to know.

Fold on! :attn:

I don't think anyone here can predict which project might lead to a breakthrough in medical science. Folks at Stanford may know (or have an educated guess) which are the most promising, but it wouldn't be in their best interests to let that out and have folders devise ways to get only a certain type of work unit or delete the "less promising" ones. Bigpackets are, for us, about the points. Just Fold, let Stanford to do the science. And if they want to influence a lot of people to fold a particular project, either because they want fast results, the project is promising, or nobody would fold a WU that took xx days, they'll put bonus points on it, like the current big packets.

Fast CPu's should fold the WU's that take longest (BP) so Stanford can analyze the data quicker. BP are generally more on the frontline/cutting edge of the project, for instance the current big packet projects are RNA proteins which stanford has never tried crunching data on before.

Interesting. So essentially, the most important packets are likely the big packets witht the big points...........

mjw21a said:
Interesting. So essentially, the most important packets are likely the big packets witht the big points...........

That could be. It could also be the case that Stanford felt not enough people would fold them without the 100% bonus. 130 ppd would be pretty lame on your signature rig compared to a big Tinker.

I decided to switch over to BPs. Why not. I plan to borg my old computer, but that one can only handle the Tinkers. Hopefully my friends will let me borg their computer with the BPs.

Thanks for the info and lets keep folding! :cool:

Back