• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cd- Rom Window mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snyper1982

alright, i know about the one at chicks hardware, but i was at another site where they did a cd-rw window mod, and they installed an LED in it to make the window look really sweet. I was just wondering if anyone else knew about that site and knows the url to it? and if not then i was wondering if anyone knows how to do it? well thanks.

snyper1982 said:
alright, i know about the one at chicks hardware, but i was at another site where they did a cd-rw window mod, and they installed an LED in it to make the window look really sweet. I was just wondering if anyone else knew about that site and knows the url to it? and if not then i was wondering if anyone knows how to do it? well thanks.

I dont know the site, but it's easy to do.

Remove the top panel of the CD Drive. (The top panel also happens to be both the side panels) Make sure you get everything out. Or rather, make sure you get the top/sides completely off the rest. All you need is the top/sides.

Sketch whatever shape hole you want, then proceed just like you would with a case Window mod (Drill a hole with a 3/8" bit, and use a METAL CUTTING jigsaw to cut it. You MUST use a metal cutting blade, or you will end up with a MESS.). But instead of buying 1/8" Lexan, you must have the THIN stuff, 1/16". Home Depot, etc, will have it in only very small sheets, I believe 6" x 8".

Attach the Lexan the the underside of the CD drive's top/sides piece which now has a hole in it. You could use heavy duty 2 sided tape, but I'd suggest Epoxy, because you can squeeze that really thin (Dont slother it, you dont want Epoxy fogging up your nifty mod), and you want the least ammount of missing space inside of your drive.

Don't forget to put it back together correctly, and of course, if you dont have a window mod in the top of your case, you can't see the CD drive's window mod!

snyper1982 said:
what about adding the led in there?

Hmm... I soppose you could cut a small half-circle notch, in the shape of the side profile of an LED, and epoxy the sides into that sheet of Lexan.

If you could find the 2 wires coming off of the motor that spins the CD, that's 12 volts. Run leads off that to where the LED will be. Make sure your LED is a 12 volt LED, anything less won't last more then 30 seconds.

Let me whip up a 3D pict to show you what I'm talking about. (15 mins)

Obviously, I don't know what the insides of each and every CD drive out there look like, so I can only tell you that if you can find the leads that go the the motor that spins the CDs, it's 12 volts, and if you solder wires onto that, and run the wires along places they wont interfere with anything, to where the LED is shown, it'll work.

Here's 1

Back