• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I might have screwed up big time!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BC|Wulf

So I was half awake when I moved my Raptor to a different location for better airflow around it and I accidentaly hooked up both power spply cables to it. I jsut noticed today so it has been running like that for about 24 hours now. Everything seems to be working just fine, but I am worried I might have screwed up the hard drive some how. Is there anyway to test it, or should I just not worry about it and be happy.

The only thing the computer was doing for about 90% of the 24 hours was folding, so the harddrive was probably shutdown anyways.

A harddrive, or any electronic component for that matter, will not pull in more electricity than it can handle. Even when having one plugged in, the line has the ability to overload the HD, but it doesn't. Electricity only moves where it can be used.

I would say that it shouldn't affect it at all.

And if the harddrive was somehow affected by overloading of electricity, i'd bet it would be pretty noticeable. You would be able to smell it even.

I figured It would only draw what it needed I was worried about having double the voltage since both the SATA power plug was on as well as the molex. It seems to run fine and does not feel warm or sound different. Thanks for the link for the diagnostic software. I guess I better drink more Dew while I am doing computer work!

Thanks for the input everyone!

Dont worry, your psu is only capable of supplying 12v, 5v, and 3.3 volt. Hooking up 2 12 volt lines to your computer will still only supply 12v to it.

TUK101 said:
Dont worry, your psu is only capable of supplying 12v, 5v, and 3.3 volt. Hooking up 2 12 volt lines to your computer will still only supply 12v to it.

exactly. it's not like you hooked the drive up to a 24v line. You still only had 12v running to the drive.

J.

Back