• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8V lockup problems and solution!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boomslang

Registered
Here's my basic setup:

AMD 64 3500 0.90
Asus A8V Deluxe rev 2.0, 1008 Bios
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128
SB Audigy 2 ZS
WD 74 Raptor
1 Gig Crucial DDR 400
Win XP Home w/ SP2
**Asus Wi-Fi Card, NO MORE**

I was having a lot of lockup problems when I initially assembled my system. Random lockups occured at random times, at idle with no programs running, using IE, using Outlook, etc. No bluescreens, just hard lockups. I never got a chance to try it with any games because the lockups were to frequent.

The lockups happened about every 5-15 minutes. The only solution was to reset my PC. The lockups happened before AND after installing SP2.

I tried many things over the course of the 3 days as I tried to iron out the problems. Reinstalling Win XP several times, switching the Audigy and Asus Wi-Fi card around to different PCI slots, running one stick of RAM in single channel, upping the AGP voltage to 1.6V (caused lots of problems), etc.

There were no IRQ conflicts. I was about to RMA the MB. Then I removed the Wi-Fi card. Holy smokes, it fixed the problem! I've had the Wi-Fi card out for a couple weeks now and haven't had a single problem. The system is rock solid in all my games now, HL2, FarCry, etc.

Short story: The Asus Wi-Fi card that came with my mobo was causing ALL of my lockup problems. Be advised.

lol good one!

My a8v didn't come with a wifi card, but it's just as well it didnt as my next door neighbour has some kind of wifi device powerful enough to transmit a signal to mars (and it seems to smother the entire channel range) making wifi impossible in my house - good old rj45 under the carpet does the trick! :attn:

Thanks for bringing this up. Problem noted and added to the OC Guide.
sSo ASUS WiF cards are extremely sensitive to EMI. What about other WiFi cards?
I'd like to see if this is a problem with the card or with the MoBo itself?

Boomslang, do you have agp 8x or 4x? I had exact the same problems with same parts. I tried agp 4x instead of 8 and now it works WITH Wlan card. I have to try if it works 8x without the wlan.

I've tried turning off fastwrites, no use. I've noticed that this Asus A8V and Radeon 9800 Pro with 8X agp is a common problem...

Anyone problems with 1GB Geil 3500 433DDR?
I have lock-up problems...
- 1.6 volts reboot when get windows
- 1.7 volts corrupted errors
- 1.8 volts works but still lock-up...

AMD 3500+ 11x200 2-3-3-7@200MHz
Asus A8V Deluxe
Ti4600 128MB
Wifi card is removed...

:bang head

Krizze80 said:
Anyone problems with 1GB Geil 3500 433DDR?
I have lock-up problems...
- 1.6 volts reboot when get windows
- 1.7 volts corrupted errors
- 1.8 volts works but still lock-up...

AMD 3500+ 11x200 2-3-3-7@200MHz
Asus A8V Deluxe
Ti4600 128MB
Wifi card is removed...

:bang head

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS Krizzie80

Tested my Geil yesterday(512 Mb). Runs without a hiccup @ 220 MHz, 2.8V 2.5-3-3-6-1T. Both Memtest and Prime stable > 11 hours. Could you give me more information?

Juups:
Try setting the AGP Voltage to 1.6V.

My problem was that AGP voltage: 1.5 -> 1.6v "no lock-ups anymore"
Geil's running just fine :)

I've been having a similar problem recently with my computer getting hung up on a black screen whenever I viewed websites. I could only look at them for about a minute and the black screen took over. My dell monitor said the computer was in power save mode which didn't make sense to me so I plugged in an old CRT and it did the same thing. I haven't tried unplugging my wireless card yet but I'll have to give that a shot and see if that helps. Here's what I've got in my system:
Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB (and a 40 gb SATA hdd and 20 gig IDE hdd)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2000MHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard
ATi 9800 Pro AIW 128mb
Linksys Wireless B Wireless card (not sure of the model)

If anyone has any other idea as to why I might be having this issue or any input it'd be greatly appreciated.

My daughter has a similar system, Vide, and the same problems. The only real differences are a Geforce video card and a D-Link wireless (and an Audigy2 ZS). Have calmed the demons somewhat by conservative video card settings (AGP4x, No fastwrites, etc.) with one exception: file transfer via AIM. For some reason AIM file transfers will hang the system every time. Changing the PCI devices around only made it worse. Still working on the problem:bang head; I don't know if I should try a newer/different wireless card, or just an earlier version of AIM.

As of today, I have re-enabled all but 3 video bios settings (Fast-write off, 1.6 volts, and locking in 66.66/33.33). Still stable so far at 8x; I think the break-point will be Fast-write, but we'll see. So while the freezes have stopped, we still get occasional split-second flickers to black on her Dell monitor (but down to one or two per day).

I am wondering if the black screen flickers might not be a video problem so much as PC Probe reporting the 12-volt quite low (11.24). I don't believe this is a power supply problem--the bios reports it at 11.87 to 11.90, and several folks on the official Asus forum have the exact same thing going on, once Windows loads. Replacing the power supply doesn't seem to help.

The black-outs usually happen when the machine is mostly at idle. Maybe a silly question, but could Cool and Quiet be messing with that voltage too, and could that be causing a brief interruption in video signal?

Has anyone figured out these problems???

I am or was it has not happened in a few hours but my system kept restarting.. Games would freeze, Graphics would disappear (e.g. the sky)

Asus A8V Deluxe 11x200
OCZ PC 3700 3-3-7
Radion 9800 pro

Last edited:
Back