• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Help with my Overclocking Problem!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DirtyDogLives

Registered
Hi all,

Being fairly new to overclocking, I am seeking help with my current system.

I have a:

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1

Name AMD Athlon XP
Code Name Barton
Specification AMD Athlon(tm)
Family / Model / Stepping 6 A 0
Extended Family / Model 7 A
Package Socket A
Technology 0.13 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
CPU Clock Speed 2305.2 MHz
Clock multiplier x 11.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 200.5 MHz
Bus Speed 400.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2305.2 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer http://www.abit.com.tw/
Motherboard model NF7-S/NF7,NF7-V (nVidia-nForce2), 2.X,1.0
BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS revision 6.00 PG
BIOS release date 07/06/2004
Chipset nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 rev. C1
Southbridge nVidia nForce2 MCP rev. A4
Sensor chip Winbond W83627HF

Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
AGP Max Rate 8x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 167.0 MHz
FSB:DRAM 6:5
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 7 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 Nanya Technology DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
Module 1 Nanya Technology DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Workstation Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX version 9.0c

Along with the above I have:
* Enermax Noistaker 470W power supply
* Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256MB Video Card (not overclocked)
* Thermaltake Volcano 10+ on CPU with 4 other 8cm fans (2 sucking in and 2 out)
* 2 X 512MB PC3200 Ram (Elixir Brand)

My issue is that it seems to run most of my programs fine (Windows XP, Office, 3dMark03). However, during the timedemo test in Doom3, it crashes almost everytime (goes back to windows screen)

I have tried messing with the cpu core voltage ranging from 1.85 to 1.90V.

As I really don't know what I am doing, could someone please help me out and steer me in the right direction. (Things to change in BIOS that I have not a clue what they do or the consequences)

Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

What temperature is your CPU running at full load? If it is 50C or above, look into a better cooling solution, or less overclocking. Excessive temperature can cause instability.

If the temperature is not the problem first bump everything down to stock speeds. Then run Prim 95 on priority 10. Run it over night. If it errors out you know something is physically wrong with your hardware. If not, You can continue to overclock each component little by little until failure. Then you simply back it down a step below what it failed at, or add voltage to make it stable.

It could be your video card causing the problems. In that case Prime 95 would not error out at your current speeds.

*Edit

I just noticed that your FSB is 200 MHz, and your RAM is running at 166 MHz because of the 6:5 divider. Your RAM is PC3200, it will handle 200 FSB 1:1 just fine. Change your divider to 6:6 for maximum perfomance.

I have just got it to run stable on all applications including prime95 with the following settings:

2037mhz for 2600+ barton desktop
177mhz FSB @ 1.75 Core V
Ram settings @ 3,3,3,11
Ram V @ 2.7V

Enable CPU interface = enable
CPU Connect = disable
FSB/DRAM ratio = 3/3
AGP and FSB Spread spectrum = disable
System BIOS cachable = disable
Video Ram cachable = disable
AGP aperature size = 256MB
CPU thermal throttling = disable
Enhance PCI perfromance = disable
CPU disconnect function = disable
AGP fast write = enable

If I go any higher on the FSB the system crashes and I need to reset the CMOS. The CPU temp hovers around 49-51 degress C when running 3dMark03, Doom3 timedemo, and Prime95.

When I had the FSB set at 200mhz @ 1.875V the CPU temp was approaching 55-57 degrees C. How hot can the CPU get without failing or becoming unstable?

What else can I change to increase performance?

This may sound crazy but have you tried lowering the v-core? I have an older barton that ran 2200 mhz at 1.55 setting realizing 1.52 acording to hardware monitoring.anything higher only increased instability when overclocking.

I finally got it to run Prime95 and 3dMark stable for nearly 9hrs on Prime95 and 3 continuous tests on 3d mark. No errors or failures whilst testing. However, when I went to play Call of Duty, it would crash and the screen would go to multicoloured snow/fuzzy, it also did a similiar thing in Command and Conquer Generals and Doom3.

Why will it run Prime95 for nearly 9 hours with a max cpu temp of 49'C and 3dMark03 perfectly, but won't any of my games????

Here are the settings:(Bold and underlined items are the ones I changed)

2304mhz for 2600+ barton desktop
200mhz FSB @ 1.85 Core V
Ram settings @ 3,3,3,8
Ram V @ 2.8V

Enable CPU interface = enable
CPU Connect = disable
FSB/DRAM ratio = 6/5
AGP and FSB Spread spectrum = disable
System BIOS cachable = disable
Video Ram cachable = disable
AGP aperature size = 256MB
CPU thermal throttling = disable
Enhance PCI perfromance = disable
CPU disconnect function = disable
AGP fast write = enable

Where do I go from here? Please HELP!!!

I suppose you have allready done the wire mod located here. Connecting the ag31 to ah32.Try it at default voltages 200 fsb first.Anytime it won't boot reset holding the insert key and go from there.

Last edited:
I haven't done the wire mod yet. not too sure about my skills as a micro electrician!! The link you gave me doesn't work. but I have heard of a L12 wire mod.....I assume that's what you're talking about. Still can't get past 2095mhz on the CPU without it crashing!!! I am beginning to think that this CPU is not meant to be overclocked!!

It is actually just a single strand of wire dropped into two holes,very simple.I updated the link so you can look at it.My Mobile would not post at anything past 170 fsb before doing the mod.Because your Barton is locked it will have to do 2300 at 200 fsb.I had another locked 2500+ which did 200x11 at less then the default voltage on my epox board so it is most likely capable of doing 2300.

Try these:

-increase your AGP Controller Latency to a higher number (default is 32). try 96 or even 255.
-bumping your Vagp up to 1.6 (if u feel u need it).
-go from 66MHZ to around 69MHZ for AGP Speed.
-bumping your tRAS to 10.
-changing value of tW2P & tR2P to 4.
-using a vdd of 1.5 (if below 200 which you are)

u can use the nforce2 tweaker to modify the AGP Controller Latency setting, tRAS, tW2P & tR2P.

http://indabasement.com/tools

good luck.

Just found out my memory is the problem!!! I ran memtest86 v1.4 and it wont pass test 1 when at 200mhz. kept dropping it back until it passed all tests and the highest it would get to was 177mhz before failing tests. The brand is elixir ram.

I went and bought a matched pair of Cosair XMS Twinx PC3200. Ran memtest86 (with a FSB of 200mhz)soon as I got them installed and hey presto.......no problems whatsoever!!! Hooraayyy!!! Anyway, my problem is now related to the cpu I think?? I have tried running it at 200mhz FSB, it loads windows no problems, and 3dmark03 no problems, but fails in all of my games and I stopped Prime95 after 40minutes as the cpu temp went from 46'C idle to 62'C in that time!!! no errors, just got way too hot for my liking.

I've got it running at 192mhz FSB (which gives me 2222mhz cpu) and that runs everything well so far. I've had prime running for 12hrs 33mins now and it never got above 56.5'C for the CPU temp. Somehow, I think my locked 2600+ Barton doesn't like anything higher than this. (running cpu volts @1.85V, all other voltages standard)

If anyone has any suggestions to get my system running at 200mhz FSB without heating up over 60'C it would be greatly appreciated.

(I have 2 intake fans and 3 exhaust fans along with a thermaltake volcano 10+ on the cpu and an artic silencer on the graphics card)

Get a 2600 mobile to go with that Corsair RAM. I used to have an unlocked 2500 and 2800 Barton in my nForce boards and a locked 2500 in my KT600. I now have 3 2600-Ms. AMDs last gift to Socket A junkies.
Bill

Back