• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why cant I go 8x agp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turboscrew

I have a radeon 9600xt 128mb ddr. The card says 4x/8x and my MSI motherboard says that it is 8x compatible. When I go to the bios and set agp to 8x and then change to 8x in the graphics properties the screen goes black and locks up. Then I have to reboot several times to get back to the properties screen to set the card back to 4x. It runs fine on this setting. What memory setting should I set the bios on 128 or 256? Someone please help this somewhat noob here. Thanks.

in your bios see if fastwrite is on. if so turn it off and try setting the agp bus back to 8x and see if that helps

Neo :)

I changed the setting in the bios to 8x, 128 mb and fast write off. Then I went in the display properties screen and changed smartgart to fast write off and agp to 8x and the system locked up in 15 sec. Had to reboot several times to get the bios and display properties back to 4x. I enabled fast write in the bios and smartgart while set in 4x agp and everything runs fine. Is this ok to leave it like this? Also I have the atitool and there are 2 different temps displayed. Which one should I watch when I try the mem and core overclock?

i have my 9600XT running fine at AGP8X, 256mb and fastwrite on. and the temps. displayed in the ATITool is ur GPU temp and the GPU environment temp. just watch ur GPU temp. mine's currently oc'ed at 550/330, and the temp doesnt go over 38c after a couple of hours of hl2. sounds like u have some kinda compatibility issue.

Back