• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal concerns...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glimmer

Registered
I am putting together a intel box with a 1.7Ghz P4 478 socket and a Abit TH7II Mobo. When istalling the processer last night I noticed that some of the "stock" thermal material had chipped off when I seated my heatsink the first time.
1) Should I take the stock material off (with alcohol) and use some sort of thermal paste like Arctic Silver.
2) How does the fan/heatsink that comes in the retail box rate. (I'm not going to overclock it just yet but I want to have the option).

Thankzz

I think it'd always be better to use AS2 rather than the pads/TIMs a lot of HSFs ship with. Just make sure you completely clean the pad/TIM off :).

I don't know about the performance of the stock HSF, though ...

Definitely get that crappy heat tape/pad off that heatsink and use a good thermal paste. It really makes a cooling difference, sometimes up to several degrees. Those retail HSF on the P-4 CPUs are ok if you're not overclock them and if you have case ventilation. But, I'd definitely get a better CPU cooler if you ever plan to overclock that system. I've heard good things about that Abit mobo. Good luck.

PIVs come with cruddy dark grey thermal compund :( I wouldn toverclock if you dont have super super cooling, because if it gets to hot the CPU will just slow down a la speed step style :(

whenever you take off your heatsink or mess with your chip it is best to clean chip good with alcohol or tronic clean and apply new thermal grease

Always get rid of that crap that comes with heatsinks - mineral spirits dissolves it well, then use alcohol or acetone to clean off the mineral spirits and any residue.

Back