• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a 128-bit 9800SE be flashed to anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

Hey, I got a new 9800se in the mail yesterday and I want to flash it to something. I was really disappointed with the card. I want to flash it to something just to make me fell better. I don't want to flash it to any 9500 series card, I want to flash it to a 9800xt. It does have an R360 core. Can this be done even with a 128-bit memory bus? It is using tsop memory, not bga, in a line at the top. Looks really crappy. I just want to feel better or maybe get more performance.

Cant remember the name of the driver that I used to use, but it unlocks the 256bit bus. It worked on my Radeon 9500. If you have the R360 core that card should be able to run 256bit bus I would think.

That R360 core should overclock well....give plain old OCing a try first and see what the diff in benchmarks is....BTW any reason you chose that card?

Theoretically, if you could find a 9800np or 9800pro BIOS which uses the exact same RAM as you it should flash OK. However, I don't think I've seen any np or pro cards with TSOP RAM, so it's unlikely you'll be able to do any flashing. Overclocking and softmodding are about the only two things you'll be able to do to your card.

TUK101 said:
Cant remember the name of the driver that I used to use, but it unlocks the 256bit bus. It worked on my Radeon 9500. If you have the R360 core that card should be able to run 256bit bus I would think.
*ahem* From the softmod (which I assume you were thinking of) FAQ : "The layout of the memory chips determines the memory bus width of the card. L shaped layout means 256 bits, I shaped means 128 bits. The memory bus width can not be changed - it is how many traces go to the memory chips."

If it's 128-bit now, there's no way you're changing it to 256-bit :( The softmod has the possibility of unlocking his extra 4 pipes though, so a pretty good performance increase can be had by using those or the Omega drivers.

JigPu

i have a 9800se 128bit also. just download the omega drivers and softmod it to a 9800. this will unlock all 8 pipes but the card's memory bandwidth will still remain 128bit. so you will essentially only get a 9500pro.

as for the r360 cores; yes, they overclock very well (at least on my card). on water the card did 460 gpu/ with 1.8v i can play doom3 at 510mhz and bench, artifact free, at 525. my card also has tsop mem and there is no chance that i can get it over 300mhz stable even with huge ramsinks. normally i just leave it at 280 from stock 250.

as for just flashing the bios. i don't think that you will see much/ any performance increase from flashing the card. but if you do flash the card, be sure to set the mem mhz to a stable speed (in the bios you are going to flash the card with) before flashing the card or you'll be in a worls of hurt.

if you want, i can hook you up with some vmods i found out/ did on my card.

with descet cooling and clock your looking at around 5k in '03, but don't expect too much from it though

Yeah, can you link me to some of those v-mods you did?

I will try overclocking the core once I get the 9800pro heatsink on it. The pipes do unlock, so that isn't an issue.

Back