• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best card choice for $150 or under?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bcs296

My friend is looking to build a PC in the next couple of months. His budget for video card is about $150. I'm trying to decide between a 9600XT or getting a 9800NP and attempting the soft-mod. Does anyone have an idea of how successful the soft-mod is for a 9800NP? It worries me because the 412/730 speeds are quite a large OC for the 9800NP, and a Pro is a decent amount of money over my friends budget. I'm also leaning towards the 9600XT because I'd rather not be mucking around with his video card. With the 9600XT, I would just leave it stock. He is not very computer savy so I don't want to get him a video card that will just lead to headaches. On the other hand, there is (obviously) quite a performance difference between the 9600XT and a 9800XT. Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

Back