Question FSB vs HDDs? (with no PCI lock)

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if any drives are known to be better than others for surviving out of spec PCI speeds without corruption.

I've got a AMD761 based board that I want to crank. Apparently they can hit 175FSB, but with only a 1/4 PCI divider, that means the poor ole PCI bus is gonna be near 44Mhz. I'm only really aiming for/expecting to get somewhere in the 166 range. I've got NICs etc that have proven reliable at 41.5Mhz PCI speeds in 83/2 systems.

I have 2 drives available
    WD400BB Western Digital Caviar 40Gb 7200RPM 2Mb Cache
    DiamondMax +8 Maxtor 40Gb 7200RPM 2Mb Cache

Fanboyism aside, which likes FSB better? (I already know which one is "best" )
    Thanks for any insights

Road Warrior
    Folder in disgrace. Folding rigs may be back online eventually, just as soon as real life gives me enough breaks.

Black Belt Ubercloxx0r

"Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous Folders have fallen or may fall into the grip of OCAU and all the odious apparatus of [H]ardOCP rule, we shall not flag or fail."

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fold on the Newcastles, we shall fold on the Northwoods and Prescotts, we shall fold with growing confidence and growing strength on Venice, we shall defend our Forum, whatever the cost may be, we shall fold on the Winchesters, we shall fold on the Bartons, we shall fold on the Applebreds and Thunderbirds, we shall fold on the Coppermines; we shall never surrender!"

Overclocking is music to my soul stereo555's Avatar
    Thats a hard call ...

Back in the old Intel PI , PII and PIII days I had very good luck with Maxtors and IBM's going over specs . Since then , I never had to give my WD drives the chance/reason to go over specs (with the newer mobos) so Iam not to sure how well they will do .

Looks like a trial and error situation to me (sorry I could not help ya more) .
    * i7 920 D0 @ 3.9 - Evga X58 3-Way SLI (758)
    * Sandisk Extreme 240gb *2x WD Blue 1TB /1x Samsung F3 1TB - 24gb Mushkin 1333 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780 - CM Cosmos 1010/Corsair HX1050 - Windows 7 Ultimate

* Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5" - LG WH12LS30 Blu Burner - Samsung SH-S223Q - X-Fi Titanium - Klipsch 4.1's/Altec center channel
    ~ "Random segments of code and ghosts in my machine" ~
    Heatware

Join your overclocking frag buddies at [OCG] (aka: [OCG]w00ps )

Inactive Pokémon Moderator JigPu's Avatar
    I'd try the DiamondMax. From my (very limited) experience, WD drives are lucky to hit 40MHz. I have no experience with Maxtor drives, and based on the luck setero555 seems to have had, they may be the ones to try.

JigPu
    .... ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    .... Intel Core i5 2500 ........................ 4 thread ...... 3300 MHz ......... -0.125 V
    2x ASUS GTX 560 Ti ............................... 1 GiB ....... 830 MHz ...... 2004 MHz
    .... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
    .... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
    .... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
    .... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
    "GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.

i allways had good luck with my maxtors and 45ish. It helps to disable hdd block mode if you have that ability. Saves from some hdd corruption at high fsb. Good luck!

J.
    AOpen H 700B
    TT TR2 750
    Gigabyte GA-M57SLI S4
    Phenom 9750
    CM Hyper 212 Evo
    2x Palit GTX 560ti
    8GB of some kind of crappy ram