• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me clear up my Athlon64 confusion! :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
indimint said:
Ok, well then according to what you guys are saying, if my max memory setting is at 200, my CPU ratio is at 10, and my HTT is at 200, my memory should be 2000/10, which would be 200, but it's not. So what's the deal? I saw another thread where someone had to move the memory modules to different DIMM slots, but that didn't fix the problem. It seems to be stuck on a max memory of 166. :(

Can you find in the bios something like "memory maxclock" and set it to manual adjustment?

Apart from that, PC2700 module may not be able to run at 200 MHz stably.

Setting the memory at 200 will only work if the ram's SPT is rated at DDR400. Otherwise, no matter what, it will only let the ram run at 166 for DDR333, 133 for DDR266, etc.

If you absolutely want to run it at 1:1, you'll have to get some DDR400 or better.

So there's no such thing as overclocking ram anymore? I was able to get the ram at 175 accidently...

Ok.. So with an Athlon XP system, I could go well over 2.6 GHz, but with this, I am limited for some reason?

Ok, I have the CPU running at 2400, and the RAM is running at 200. Settings are:

CPU speed: 240
CPU ratio: 10
HT: 4x
Max mem speed: Auto
CPU voltage: stock
Mem voltage: stock

I played a game for a while without crashing, and primed for about 30 minutes with no errors.

When I tried to increase the CPU speed to 260, and decrease the HT to 3x, the computer wouldn't even boot. Clearing the CMOS fixed this, but I have no idea what is wrong. Before when I increased the CPU speed to 240 without decreasing the HT multiplier to from 5x to 4x, the computer did the same thing, but I soon figured out that I have to decrease the HT multiplier as I increase the CPU speed.

Any ideas on how to increase the CPU speed more so that it boots? I have also tried setting the max mem speed down to 133 without any success.

Do not set your memory max clock to auto. As suggested earlier, use manual setting so you can optimize both the CPU and memory to highest possible.

You have 3200+ with max multiplier of 10, but memory is a slow PC2700.

Set
CPU_multiplier to 10
memory_maxclock to 133 MHz (aka memory_HTT_ratio of 2:3)
hence memory_multiplier = 15
set LDT to x3 (may try x4 after CPU overclocking is fully tested)

HTT to 250 - 260 - 270 MHz
CPU_frequency = 2500 - 2600 - 2700 MHz
memory_bus_frequency = 167 - 173 - 180 MHz

So I think, if the setting is fully explored, the 3200+ and the PC2700 memory and the MSI K8N Neo2 have a good chance to run somewhere between 2.5 - 2.6 - 2.7 GHz with memory at 167 - 173 - 180 MHz (which is doable for PC2700 with enough Vdimm).

OLMI said:
When I tried to increase the CPU speed to 260, and decrease the HT to 3x, the computer wouldn't even boot. Clearing the CMOS fixed this, but I have no idea what is wrong. Before when I increased the CPU speed to 240 without decreasing the HT multiplier to from 5x to 4x, the computer did the same thing, but I soon figured out that I have to decrease the HT multiplier as I increase the CPU speed.

Any ideas on how to increase the CPU speed more so that it boots? I have also tried setting the max mem speed down to 133 without any success.

She's gonna need more voltage if you're going to try running her at 260*10.

To fully enjoy a A64 and overclock it, you really need better memory than PC2700. :)

Maybe looks at getting some better dimms?

Pretty damn old, but it's also really expensive, hehe. I don't want to pay 200 dollars for 200 mhz.

Back