• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Order to install new card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dkdgbroyles

I'm going to install a new sound card. What order should I do this? I'm thinking this order: 1. uninstall mobo drivers, video card driver 2. disable onboard audio 3. Put in new card 4. install audio driver 5. install mobo driver. 6. install video card driver.

Delete old audio drivers
Install new card
Install new drivers
Make sure Windows lists the new device
Tell it it is the preferred audio device & to only use it
No need to un-install MoBo drivers
I've done it this way a number of times with no issues.

Regards, Balrog

I don't see the audio drivers in the control panel. I'm looking in the wrong place? I thought I needed to uninstall the mobo drivers at first because I thought the audio drivers were all integrated. Were do I find the audio drivers? Thanks.

If you're switching from an onboard audio solution to a card you can just install the new drivers as long as you tell Windows to only use the new device. I've done this with both ALC650 & MCP-T\Soundstorm onboard & switched to SBL & AV-710 cards without problems.

Regards, Balrog

Well, I was about to put in a new sound card. Then I noticed my son has a Philips FW-C777 with a USB link on it. I hooked it up with no problem. This thing will put about any stereo system to the test. It has built in suround features on it and many others. I think I'll keep it for a while.It sure beats on board with the logitech speakers I use to have.

Disabel Onboard Audio

I have a SB Audigy and what I have always done if I am not using the integrated sound is to disable it in the BIOS settings.

Hey M2450!

Welcome to the Forums!

Yeah, always a good idea to disable any feature you aren't using, I have all my serial ports & parallel port disabled as well as onboard audio.

Regards, Balrog

Back