• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Htpc...aiw

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have ab ATI 7500 for my HTPC, do you think that is good enough for watching DVD movies? I won't see any difference using a 9200 or a 9600 for 2D right?

Ok I will look for a 9800 Pro AIW...I was asking cause I know the 9600 is a "newer" card...just did not know if it got better image quality or not. I would like to be able to record Cable tv to the hard drive...the AIW can do this? or is there an AGP card better suited too this as my only pci has an audigy 2 card.

Ok the 9600 AIW...I can record Cable tv? What software for settingit up too record tv shows while i am at work (only bad thing about working at night).

AFAIK both the 9600 and 9800 have the same IQ and features, except the 9600 having half the pipes and ram bandwidth, but concerning the AIW feature, they're the same
the 9600 can also do HDTV, the same as the 9800.
Regarding recording TV shows, yes you can. I'm not sure what programs can be used for that, but there's a great forum for HTPC support, its also pretty quick, and helpfull:
http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Just a note, AIW uses software wise to encode their recording. And from many htpc I know, they use haupage dvr card to do the recording. These cards have build in encoding, so they won't use that much cpu power. Just get a haupage card and a regular 9600 and you'll be alright.

None of the tv tuner cards that I have found will work as I do not have an free PCI slots...thats why I also asked about the USB based TV tuners and how their quality is. Thanks for the link, hehe found the site last night looking around, but did not really dig into it as it was getting late. As of now I am looking to get the 9800 AIW and am wait on if concerning the USB TV tuners. Thanks everone

I would stick with the one of the AIW's since they include all of the software like studio 8 and it does include a program called Guide plus which alows you to record tv shows when ever you want by just clicking on the tv shows you want to record. I have really like my 9600 AIW but it is slow on the games. Also the tuner on mine is a philips. You would not need a usb capture device. The card captures from the cable RCA composite and S video. Everything that you would want comes with the card. It can capture a up to 720x480 at 30 frames-per-second.

Last edited:
Ok, but it is software encoding? the shuttle has an xp 1800, 512 ddr333. Looking to up the CPU, but should it do ok recording?

When You record with it you can record it in several formats ATI VCR, Mpeg 1, 2, 4, AVI and Window media. It does fine for me with the recording I have yet to use it on the max settings though. I think it should do ok I have used mine in a Pentium 2.4 GHz and right now I am using a 2400 Sempron. 1.66 GHz core. I don't know the core exactly of the XP 1800 but you should do ok. I don't know how it would do with the mpeg 4 encoding. for mpeg 2 you need at least 1 ghz.

Last edited:
1.5GHz...Ok so I should do fine with mpeg 2...now time to just find a good deal on a 9800 AIW...hehe I still need a T.V. for the living room where this thing is going...humm well one thing at a time. thanks guys

Back