• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question to all, why get 9600xt instead of 9700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

I see alot of people paying in the $120 range for a 9600xt when they could be getting a much faster 9700 or even 9700pro for that price, do they just not know about it? Can they not find any 9700s?

Some people only buy new cards, some people look for raw clock speeds. Some people buy for waranty(kinda the same thing as new cards). They are becoming rare anymore, so not being able to find one is also a valid excuse.

Used cards are just as fast as new cards and once you use a new card, its not new anymore. Who cares about warrenty unless you never overclock, once you do, its void anyway! If you go by raw clock speeds, you will always lose. a 9800xt has higher clocks than a 6800gt but gets owned by it for example LOL.

Sometimes you can get a better deal. I bought my Bro a 9600Pro early last year because it was $90, an exceptional deal as it retiled for ~$150. 9700s were ~200 if you could find them iirc.

I got a Radeon 9550 because it was $70. Its kinda just how the deal goes for some (like me).

I'll tell you why. Most people don't like going on ebay to buy video cards. Plus, everyone always looks at the cheapest they go for. They also go for $140 or more on ebay too.

9700s are extremely hard to find from a reputable reseller, if impossible.

Reputable being the key word here - I would never buy any expensive computer hardware from eBay, just for example.

Also, I think that the newest card on the shelf (in the same price range) has some sway on the market; what is seen on the shelves is what gets bought at large retail outlets, just look at the success of the FX 5200 cards.

And hey, "XT" makes *anything* sound fast, doesn't it?

Back