• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New user needs help with cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sunshine

Hi people,
I have a pentium 166 mmx processor in my computer, and to tell you the truth it is'nt doing very well, the thing is ,i have a program that i use on a daily basis that uses all of my cpu stuff,
i am certain that it is this program because it has a cpu monitor, and quite often goes beserk just befor crashing on me.
I have looked all over the internet to try to find a souloution to fix my cpu, and came accross "overclocking", the thing is I have no idea on how to do this. Could someone please advise me on how to go about doing this, I have read many pages before and it just has'nt made any sense to me.

Your help would be very much appriciated.

yours

To overclock a pentium 1 there are two methods.

One is to up the FSB from 66mhz to 75mhz (some have 83).

Considering you have a p166(runs on 66mhz), changing the FSB to 75 would result in 75 x 2.5 = 188mhz

Now that 2.5 is what we call a multiplier. New intel cpus have them locked, but luckily for you the p166 multiplier is unlocked. So, changing the 2.5 mult to 3.0 would result in an overclock.

Say 3.0 x 75 = 225 which is a long strech for that cpu, so leave the FSB alone and up the mult to 3 would result in

3.0 x 66=200mhz which is more reasonable.

Cooling is an important factor in overclocking, make sure you heatsink is sitting properly on the CPU.

Oh ya, and for the FSB and multiplier adjustments it'll be onboard in little jumpers. Look for a silkscreen for the descriptions of what jumpers to change.

Good luck!

thanks for your help but it still does'nt make sense to me, i dont know much about insides of computers.

where in my computer will i find this multiplier thing and jumper?
could you please give me instructions, i know where the cpu is loged but thats about it.

thanks

I have one of tehese chip's oc to 233Mhz easy and old way to overclock non-bios settings just GlodFingers ... you probably will find soem dip switckes or jumpers near to you cpu socket or pci/isa slots ( we talking abou intel P166Mhz MMx socket 7 cpu) all the possible overclocking settings should be printed in the board you should see a thable printed there like this one:

Mutiplier dip switche:
SW1 4 5 6
1.5/3.5x off off off
2x on off off
2.5x on on off
3x off on off

FSB dip switche:
SW1 1 2 3
60Mhz off on on
66Mhz on off on

V.core dip switche:
SW2 1 2 3 4
3.5v Like the other
3.3v ones just change on
3.2v or off the settings
2.9v follow the table printed
2.8v on your board!!!!

if you got jumpers it will be something like:
JP15
1-2 60Mhz FSB
2-3 66Mhz FSB

JP14
1-2 2.5x Multiplier
2-3 3.0x Multiplier

It won't rhe same has this one but try to find something like this in your board...
Hope it helps...GoOd LuCk!!!!!

Back