• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what material is best to use with ducting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

And where can i buy them, the duct i saw online is cool, but it cost 20 bucks, i think i can make 1 for much cheaper, i was thinking of paper, but that's not really good material for cooling air, how about aluminum (silver) paper (some call it foil paper i think) it's the type that people uses to bake stuff, i can warp it outside of hard paper, and it should be ok rite?

Check out this Link. "Case and Videocard Airflow Coolng Mods" by our own Bill Leggitt. He used Plexiglass, and I think project board is also good for ducting. Seems like I remember bill using project board during the initial design phase of his ducting project. You can get it at craft and hobby stores, prolly Walmart too. I dont think Aluminum or metallic materials would be a very good idea since they are conductive and may cause a short and/or damage to components.

Go to home depo, and buy some "Acrylic safty glazing" its like plexi, but its got a blueish tint. You can get a 18 x 24 sheet for $5. I am currently building my own duct out of it and its working great :)

it's late at night and i'm tired, i saw something real good and practical, i'll post it up tomorrow and i'll also draw out my duct, i need to go pick up a dremel too, as well as matterials for the duct lol, none of my stuff comes home yet, UPS should work on the weekend, i order a ton of stuff over the weekend, it'll be here by like wednesday.

warlock110 said:
can a dremel cut plexiglass good?
No, a dremel is too high of a speed and cuts with abrasion. Friction and plastic do not mix.

With a limited set of tools I can't recommend anything other than project board. You can buy it from hobby or arts and crafts stores. May also be under foam board.

What about a lower speed setting on the dremel, coupled with running water over the place one is cutting?

I've cut plexi with a dremel. It sends burning chunks of molten plastic everywhere. One piece actually hit my eye. That was painful. It worked on a slow speed without many problems, but it takes a long time. Also- the areas where you cut tend to fog up permanently (im guessing because of the heat).

And water + electric dremel = bad. The water will climb up the shaft and we all know that water and electricity doesn't mix ;).

for straight cuts i actually use a table saw with a medium fine blade, hasnt cracked or broken a piece yet.
but i am asuming you dont have a table saw so you might try something like a jigsaw or even a hacksaw might work but i have never tried it myself.

~Magick_Man~

magick_man said:
for straight cuts i actually use a table saw with a medium fine blade, hasnt cracked or broken a piece yet.
but i am asuming you dont have a table saw so you might try something like a jigsaw or even a hacksaw might work but i have never tried it myself.

~Magick_Man~
Good advice and what i generally use. The only tool better than a table saw for cutting plastic is a band saw. But those are expensive (for one that will actually work).

You dont have to get actual plexiglass. Home depo has lots of stuff like plexi for like $5 for 6 square feet. What i use to cut plexi is an exacto knofe, and a lighter. WHat you do is use the knife to cut about 3/4 the way through. then move the lighter up and down the part you just cut to heat it up, and slowly bend it. It works great for suare ducting :)

atomic hamster said:
You dont have to get actual plexiglass. Home depo has lots of stuff like plexi for like $5 for 6 square feet. What i use to cut plexi is an exacto knofe, and a lighter. WHat you do is use the knife to cut about 3/4 the way through. then move the lighter up and down the part you just cut to heat it up, and slowly bend it. It works great for suare ducting :)

is there a different size? cuzz the window is not gonna be square and that big :) i hope they cut to the size you can use.

Back