• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone ever made a case out of mirrors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

Has anyone ever made a case out of mirrors?...huh....huh....id imagine id be difficult because mirrors are basicaly glass, but what if you started w/ an aluminum case, modded it so that almost everything was a flat surface, and then attached mirrors to it using epoxy???

It would be simpler to use mirrored acrylic since you can machine it and it weighs alot less than glass. A few people have made cases with mirror tint, and a few used them for optical illusions.

threeme2189 said:
cool idea...
now if only someone would make a case out of heatsinks...

thats what any aluminium case is - technically a giant heatsink!

Vrykyl said:
thats what any aluminium case is - technically a giant heatsink!
Oh, I think not.
I have yet to see a convincing argument (or experienced IRL, either) for the supposed superiority of an alloy case over it's identical steel sister.

This has to be one of more enduring "urban myths" of the OC community.

Technically it is SORT OF a heatsink, but it doesn't actually dissipate heat off of processors/video cards/etc. the hot air that comes in contact with it does get heat dissipated though.

Its not significant anyways.

sorry about that - i simply meant in terms of its supposedly improved thermal transfer of its internal heat compared to a steel or plastic one....
now a computer case with heatpipes from the case wall to the cpu, making the whole copper case the heatsink....thats something id love to see ;)

Well wouldn't the hard drives and other components that are directly in contact with the case cool better with a al case than with a steel case, simply because the heat can spread more easily over an al chassis than a steel one?

Captain Slug said:
It would be simpler to use mirrored acrylic since you can machine it and it weighs alot less than glass. A few people have made cases with mirror tint, and a few used them for optical illusions.

I agree. Not to mention, it's SAFER!
I think it would look cool.
Post pics if you do it! :)

Blast it, I was just about to post that lol. Yeah, the voodoo is definitely a massive heatsink.

That mirrored idea sounds awesome. It would be cool to mirror the inside as well. I know that people have chromed their cases which is almost the same thing I guess. vonkaars chrome goat project did just that.

lol, i was just on their website dreaming of what may be :drools: i configured a rig on their site, it came out to $8,956.59! :drools again, then slaps himself after looking at the price again: oh well...

LOL, so you have spinning lasers inside your case reflecting around? That would be awesome........ unless it reflected out of the case and into your eyes. Still, if you worked on the angles, getting some laser pens and modding them into your case so that they reflected around would be awesome.

enduro said:
LOL, so you have spinning lasers inside your case reflecting around? That would be awesome........ unless it reflected out of the case and into your eyes. Still, if you worked on the angles, getting some laser pens and modding them into your case so that they reflected around would be awesome.
yea, i have a laser pen and play with it in my bathroom with mirrors opposite eachother...it's so cool.
and if they put a fog machine in there...you could see the laser beams!

Back