• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardrive kills performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenko

Hello my brother has a sony laptop 1.6ghz dothan,512mb ram,40gb hardrive.
It is really fast but as soon as the harddrive is acessed the computer runs like crap even opening my computer up takes ages, but soon as the harddrive stop being used the lappy flys again!
Is this a commom problem with laptop harddrives?

Somethings wrong

Opening my docs should be instantaneous
It only takes my laptop 1-3 seconds to open word/excel

Is your harddrive defragmented?(START>CONTROL PANEL>PERFORMANCE & MAINTENANCE> REARANGE ITEMS TO MAKE THINGS RUN FASTER)

It could be in PIO mode. Go to the Device Manager in the control panel. Look for IDE/ATA controllers and right click on the Primary IDE Channel and select properties. Then goto the Advanced Settings tab. Your transfer mode should be something like "DMA if availiable." Under your current transfer mode make sure it isn't set to "PIO" mode.

Edit: Try reading this and see if it helps you. http://www.overclockers.com/articles1161/

Laptop hard drives around 4000 to 5500rpm do tend to be pretty slow, and laptop drives in general are slower than a similar drive in the standard 3.5" size for desktop PCs.

However, it shouldnt bring the laptop to its knees unless its doing some really heavy disk accessing.

Suggestions:
- Defrag
- Run Diagnostics
- Reduce the number of programs running in the background if possible.

its a new sony and is bloated when boot up is finished theres 40process`s

boot it up in safe mode and see how fast it is
there should only be like 12 processes

reformat that mofo! Get all that junk off it you will not be useing. Also if it is like a 4200RPM drive going to a 5400 RPM will help a little bit. And going to a 7200RPM will make that bad boy fly.

get rid of the pagefile and then make new one

sometimes delays can be caused by registry errors.

also check for spyware

and yes you should get rid of some of that junk.

my lappy has same specs as yours and it got 40 processes also running but 7/8 of em take less than .001% processing power with few excetions like firewall and antivirus.

Disable harddrive indexing service for a minor performance boost----> will make file searches slower

EDIT* also when there is a cd in the drive mycomp takes like 5 secs to open cause it waiting for cdrom to spin up.

Back