• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Drivers cause boot freeze after startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonJon

Registered
Recently my computer went on the fritz. I don't know why but all of a sudden after my computer would boot, right before the login screen appeared, it would hang. After a lot of trouble shooting, I found that once I uninstalled the ATI 4.10 drivers, my computer could boot normally. I tried the new ATI 4.12 drivers without success, and even the Omega 4.12 drivers don't work for me. I even tried a clean Windows XP install and even an Windows XP SP2 install. The computer would boot fine until I installed the graphic drivers.

Why does the driver cause my computer to crash now?? Any ideas? I am so lost! I know the computer is hanging because I can't VNC in, it's not just the video card not displaying, the computer actually hangs.

If you have a non-intel chipset, make sure you install the newest chipset drivers. This usually helped me when I had such problems

What kind of card do you have? Try the old 4.x cats.. like 4.4. I had problems like that and as soon as i used the older drives it magically went away. Also make sure if your overclocking a board without AGP locks.. make sure your agp speed is at 66mhz.

Back