• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with a game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kitler

Alright this is the second time I did this, but this time its more screwed up. I deleted the files for "call of duty" in my "/:e" drive cause I put it in the wrong place. I deleted all the Reg files I think im not sure tho if I did'nt I can't find them. and when I start it up so I can reinstall It acts like its still there...soooooo..... I was wondering what I can do to reinstall the game...

Why didn't you do a normal uninstall ?

Chances are that there are registry entries for COD somewhere still . Don't only look for COD in the registry , run a search for the publisher as well ( I think Activision ) . Sometimes you will find entries hiding under the publisher or game-developer's name rather than the game title .

Another thing you can try is to empty the Temp folder .

Nope it shouldn't, in fact when the Windows disk cleanup wizard offers to do its stuff c:\temp is one of the places that it empties . C:\temp often keeps files that were used or decompressed during installation or use , eg game setup files or the text file you viewed that was within a zip file for example . Install programs should normally remove their temp folder entries after install or uninstall is finished but many times this doesn't happen . Many times too, the folders within the temp folder that a given program used get emptied when the program is finished with them ,but then the empty folder remains . You may well see several of those empty oddly named folders in your temp folder .

Finally if you really want to be safe you can make a new folder and copy C\:temp and paste it there before erasing C:\temp so you would have a backup.

Did you go through the registry again ??

EDIT : What I really meant to say was have you looked through the registry again in the way that I outlined earlier in the thread .

Last edited:
Ok , have you tried to install again ? Try and let me know . However it is 2 am and I need to get up early so i won't be able to reply to at earliest the afternoon .

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data and see if there is any activision or COD stuff in there . You will have to enable viewing of hidden files and folders to see that App data folder . To do this , while in explorer or my computet go to tools>folder options > view and the tick the show hidden files an folders option .

But I have 3 questions .

1/ When you go to the 'add/remove programs' section in control panel , is COD still listed ?

2/ What other publishers / game studios are involved besides activision ? ie there may be more names of abbreviations to look for in the registry .

3/ What exactly is the error that you get when trying to install the game ???

And by the way empty the 'C:\temp' folder after every failed install attempt .

I'm 99% sure this problem lies in the registry. You probably don't need to bother looking in the file system any longer.

To expedite this:

The answer to number 1 likely doesn't matter if its there or not, because the uninstallation file and the installation log is wiped out.

The answer to number 2 could be that there is a completely un-self-revealing key which would be impossible to find.

I would also like to know the answer to number 3.

My advice to you right now:

For good measure, I would recommend that you run regsupreme, a registry scanner, incase it might clean up orphaned registry entries that are screwing up the installer.

Yup, probably. I have never had a problem just telling it to fix everything it found.

Make sure all your data is backed up, as it always should be anyways though.

Dude, you deleted the game directory, so you probably shouldn't really even expect this to be fixable... I would expect that to require a OS reinstall if problems resulted, simply because it makes a full uninstallation almost impossible.

At this point I would cut my losses and reinstall windows honestly. :-/

Or you can wait for someone to post and say I'm an idiot and you just need to perform some easy fix.

This is one of those mistakes that explains why windows always treats you like you made a mistake, and always confirms you really want to do what you are telling it to do... Because it assumes a windows user is going to make some really bad move. When it asked you if you really wanted to delete those files, you should have second guessed yourself. ;)

Last edited:
Back