• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tin Snips Or Dremel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lennytiger

I have a dremel but I don't want to risk ripping my mobo and all out the case again, but I was wondering if tin snips are better for cutting the inside of the case because they don't leave as much mess as the dremel, plus I don't have the cutting bits for my dremel!!

What is it your planning on cutting? I always remove my motherboard from the case before I do any cutting. You can pick up the cutting bits for a few dollars at any hardware store. You will get a much smoother cutt with a dremel then with a tin snips in my opinion.

yeah take to mobo out and use a dremel, lucky you have one, everything i cut i use sheetmetal fabrication tools
got a pair of tinsnips for cutting to the right, straight and to the left. they work out really great and if you are careful you wont leave one jagged edge on that hole your cutting out.

yeah i used tin snips on my bigger holes too and the dremal for small ones.You can do an amazingly good job with the snips if you take your time,looks as good as a holesaw,i gotta get a digital camera

Anytime you mod your case, I'd suggest removing what's inside it. For the 10 mins it takes to dissasemble the system, and the 10 it takes to put it back together, it's not really worth not doing it.

more liek 5 minutes and 20 to put back. if you get any metal in case adn it shorts out something you will be taking it out so I would take everything even teh PS.

It would take me like 20min to get it all out and about 45 min to get everything straigtened back out and zip tied again. I've got a ton of zip ties holding my wires to my case and holdint all my wires nice and neat. The thought of tearing it all apart makes me want to cry!

whoa hold up there buddy, even if you play on cutting a hole with tin snips, take everything out of the case, use precaution man, just think if just a little shard of metal shorted out your motherboard and you had to get a new setup, that is way more expensive than spening the 10 extra mins it takes to remove everything from the case, just warning but if you really dont want to remove everything well i cant stop you...

Back