• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet working in safe mode...but what about normal mode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WCFire

Hi guys, Im new here. I've had this problem with my internet. I'm using a Linksys router. I'm pretty sure the router isn't the problem though, because I have another computer connected to it and it is working just fine.

-The internet apparently works with safe mode, but not normal mode

-I've tried lots of Spyware removal programs, but I bet there could still be some(or a lot..) nasty stuff still around

-I've posted a HiJack This! log recently, it was clean.

-I can ping to sites

-I have AVG Free, and during normal mode, it gives me some Automatic Update window, which I think means that I am somehow connected to the internet during normal mode.

I'm computer illiterate :p Any help would be appreciated and Ill answer any other questions nessecary. Thanks!

Try downloading firefox and see if that works. I think somehow IE is screwed up. You said you can ping, so I assume that means your TCP/IP networking is all good- but just to be on the safe side- go to your local area connection, right click it, go to properties, double-click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP. Make sure everything is set to "obtain automatically".

Well first of all Welcome to the Forums

Ok, for spyware and adware removal, i suggest Ad-Aware6
Go to Start --> Run --> Type CMD
Type in the DOS prompt
ipconfig /all
Do you see your router and your LAN ip?
Is your router correctly setup for the DCHP?
Lastly, use Firefox 1.0, the best, safest and fastest browser about.

Hope that helps

Try typing an IP address into the browser instead of a URL, does this work? does FTP work? (for example) or anthing but the web? last time i saw this problem it turned out to be Norton internet security conflicting with something, possibly XP service pack 2, so uninstall that if you have it... you could also check your hosts file in \system32\drivers\etc for strange entries although that's probably not it

Sounds like a software problem if you're connected to the internet and can ping but can't get a page to load. You could try repairing windows; you'd have to reinstall SP2, but it's worth it if your internet works. I would try firefox. If that works, great; if not, you're pretty much stuck reformatting.

FireFox's Mozilla is actually my main browser now, but the problem started occuring before I had installed it, while I was using IE. I've tried accessing the internet through MSN, AIM, Mozilla, and some online gaming stuff, but nothing.

All my settings are set to "Obtain Automatically"

For adware, spyware, virus etc. removal I've used Ad-Aware SE Personal(I uninstalled Ad-Aware 6, but I did run it while I had this problem), Spybot S&D, Norton Antivirus, AVG 7, and Spyware Blaster.

Type in the DOS prompt
ipconfig /all
Do you see your router and your LAN ip?
Is your router correctly setup for the DCHP?

I see my router and LAN IP, and yes it is set to DCHP.

Try typing an IP address into the browser instead of a URL, does this work? does FTP work? (for example) or anthing but the web? last time i saw this problem it turned out to be Norton internet security conflicting with something, possibly XP service pack 2, so uninstall that if you have it

IP instead of a URL didnt work, neither does FTP or anything. I do have Norton Internet Security installed, but I installed that later, after the problem started occuring.

Sounds like a software problem if you're connected to the internet and can ping but can't get a page to load. You could try repairing windows; you'd have to reinstall SP2, but it's worth it if your internet works. I would try firefox. If that works, great; if not, you're pretty much stuck reformatting.[/quote

I cant reformat, Im a moron and lost all the discs and everything :p

My friend had this problem too. She had the aim virus and now her internet isnt working. FOr the first 4 minutes, aim and ie works... then it stops. Once she logs off aim, she cant gt back on until she reboots. I tried checking hijack with her, and it was clean.

Back