• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i think im giving up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HazzzMatMan

Registered
ive been reading for 3 weeks, everyday, every forum, every post that seemed relavant, and NOTHING has helped. i am STILL stuck at 3.0. my ram is not the problem(DDR533 Patriot XBL) i know that. my mobo is more then enough(DFI LP 875B), and my PSU (X-Connect 500w) is not the problem. Its not overheating (Koolance Exos...i know its noobish). the ram voltage was 2.8v, and the AGP was 1.6. and the pci/agp is locked 66/33. any other ideas? i just cant get it to be stable above a FSB of 250. i know ive been posting alot about this, but its bugging the living daylights out of me!

heres a pic if u wanna see some info bout my system.

It might be your cpu? If you got a defective one it might be stopping you. It could be one of your storage devices... I have no idea why, but I'd check each of your parts in a different system to make sure they all work.

batboy said:
Does it act like you hit a brick wall? If so, I can almost guarantee it's a RAM conflict.

tahts what i thought. but ive tried it with a 3:2 dividor, and 3-4-4-8 timings, and it still didnt work at 274. i used to have Geil PC3200 valueram that i tried, and the same thing happened past 250. so im not 100% sure its the ram. but it could be....

You know, sometimes overclocking just sucks and runs into crap walls like this. My 2.6c wont overclocke anymore, so I have been running it at stock speeds for almost 7 or 8 months, possibly 9 who knows. I have had this rig for a little over a year.

You just gotta do some hardcore investigating to find the problem, try returning some parts and getting new ones maybe... gotta go super CSI style and figure it out man thats what.

Does the Patriot XBL have TCCD chips? If so, they usually do pretty good. But, I don't have any experience with DFI mobos, so I don't know what incompatible with them. Maybe try updating the BIOS before giving up. Got any friends with RAM you can try swapping in?

I got a feeling its ur CPU. Not all cpus will clock the same. Maybe give ur cpu more volts? From 2.4ghz to 3ghz is not bad. Only way to go higher is if u have a MO chip. I bet its ur CPU limiting u since u tried with different memory. ALso some memory dont like dividers. Or your board dont like dividers. So I still think its ur cpu or maybe your mobo.

batboy said:
Does the Patriot XBL have TCCD chips? If so, they usually do pretty good. But, I don't have any experience with DFI mobos, so I don't know what incompatible with them. Maybe try updating the BIOS before giving up. Got any friends with RAM you can try swapping in?

yes they are TCCD. no im the only guy i know (person-person) who even knows about OC'ing. but i have tried with some older PC3200 ram. i bought the Patriot ram thinking that it would fix the problem. but it didnt. i think i MIGHT try to get another CPU and see if its just my cpu thats holding me back.

I have some Patriot TCCD. For starters, you should be running the memory at 250 1:1 @ 2.5-3-3-7 timings when you attempt to hit 3.75 Ghz. It could be the modules themselves, but chances are you just have a sour chip.

deception``

have you tested your ram individually to ensure that a stick isn't crapping out on you?

I bought one of the first 2.4C when they were first available and that thing still did 3.3 gig. While it's possible the CPU is lame, I still think it's something else.

Some of the new 2.4's are getting stuck at 3 gigs.... you'll make the 4th or 5th person with a new 2.4C that's been stuck at 3 gigs that I've seen on these forums. I bought one of the old 2.4's as well, but some of the good steppings (like SL6WF) aren't applying to the new 2.4's from what I've seen (I've talked to two people with new Sl6WF's, and they both were stuck at 250).

Intel could very well be speed binning lower quality cores to the 2.4C grade if they can't handle 3.0 gig or more.

batboy said:
I bought one of the first 2.4C when they were first available and that thing still did 3.3 gig. While it's possible the CPU is lame, I still think it's something else.
I agree, almost all 2.4c are going to hit 3GHz easily. But there is some huge variablility there also. I had 1.8as that topped out at as little at 2.25GHz, and another that did 3.42GHz. Your going to have to change something and see what the effect is. I would do the cpu, myself.

Not sure!

As I'm moving to the prescott, but seems like your rig should handle better than it is and I'm sure It's not you! But you will find some fella's that have found the Patriot chips questionable. -So, with everything you described I would lay bets it's your DDR.

Cheers

Back