• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the bomb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weapon

well, it isn't a bomb but it should be one helluva blast to hook up to a cooling loop:
weaponmonstercore2.jpg

it is still currently a work in progress - the quad chambered shroud for quad 120s is in the works and should be finished soon. Also, I decided to throw it up to the front lines for the next step in weapon core evolution. By wednesday, it will be a much improved heat exchanger and it shall look like it as well... :D

nah - I just had to do some light modding to get it to its current condition - it had big brackets and pipes soldered to it - it is a fedco 2-192. They are a bit expensive at $79 but that is a small price to pay for such insanity.

After getting it, I realized I could have made something very close by silver soldering dual 77 b'villes together horizontally - that would actually be a bit larger than the 2-192 in overall dimensions. Dual 302s could probably be soldered together for less than the cost of the 2-192 but maybe not - that would be a lot of silver soldering.

you should make a long one instead (like a thermochill on steroids), not to many people can fit that square thing in their case...

thegreek said:
you should make a long one instead (like a thermochill on steroids), not to many people can fit that square thing in their case...

I already made one going vertical instead of horizontal - it was the original weapon monstercore:
monstercore1.jpg

It didn't fit well in many cases. heh.

on the other hand, either will fit nicely in the case that these are going into:
reszda1.jpg

That is a former Periphonics VPS/iS server cabinet that is now being weaponized. It is about 50" (H) x 24" (w) x 32.5"(D). For size comparison, that is a usual four 5.25 bay midtower next to it on the lower left. The silver box on top of the cabinet is the 1500w power supply.

Even though they are not size friendly to the average case, they are a great solution when paired with an external waterbox as you can use fans that barely have the blades spinning and still get massive cooling capacity with no noise. Now, if you crank the fans up, the cooling capacity is just insane. That is if they are left in basically stock form. I am going to kick them up a good notch or two beyond that tomorrow once my new modding hardware arrives. I ordered the new gear to allow for some mods to 302 cores that were not previously possible but, with this new monstercore, the results should be off the chart and that is more temptation than I can resist. :D

LOL - that case is not too bad for $50?? That is what I paid for that case. I found it buried in the back of a local small town computer shop. It had a couple of scratches on the outside but the internals were perfect and I planned to mod the exterior anyway. I snagged the power supply to run it off of eBay for $98 - it is an industrial wattbox that was brand new in the box with complete instructions and warranty info. $98 after shipping...I went and looked up retail on it after it had already arrived at my door - the manufacturer's suggested retail for that PSU is $1150. :eek: gotta love a $1052 discount. :D

UPS shows my new mod gear is on time so the monster core should be a very interesting creature by the end of the week. The cooling capacity is about to get a decent boost. :)

Sneaky said:
holy shyt! i could make a treehouse out of that case... er... building
Do not bypass our word filter again.

I'm curious as to your pump also, or pumps?

My next question is, how big is too big? How long before we see a diminshing return? With HCs this big, we are still limited by ambient temps right?

Back