• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

blocking port ***** need stealth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

I never had this problem before but now since i upgraded my routers firmware my port ****** is closed.....

all my ports are stealth and use to be stealth and they still are. EXCEPT ****...

can someone help me with this. i want it to be stealth.

im using zonealarm and linksys router.

i blanked out my port thats closed for security reasons. its not OPEN its CLOSED but not stealth. i want it be stealth like allmy other ports

help plz?"

is it port 139 or something really close to that. It was the same for me, I read up on it. Whatcha wanna do is forward that port to nowhere, so basically forward the port that is closed to 192.168.1.255 (assuming that doesn't exist) then run the test again, it will be stealthed.

Zatrix said:
can i just make up a ip like 001.00.0.0?

Best make it a 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x address incase it gets rerouted to an actual existing IP.

Zatrix said:
nice it works

stealth baby

my only question is what happens if someone else is using that same ip?

they only let me change the last digit

i set it for 192.168.1.156 is that good

192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x IPs are used for private networks - so those IPs arent real computers out on the internet.

rar, I achieved a TruStealth rating!

Yes, 192.xxx.xxx.xxx is a non-routed IP range, so it's quite common to see them in home networks.

It's not the only private range, but it's the most common.

being stealth is seriously over rated though, people focus on it far to much imho. In fact a Microsoft Windows XP Home (with NO service packs) and firewall defaults is stealth according to GRC.. Does anyone consider that to be secure ?? - Read Here For Report

Also I personally take what GRC states with caution, if you read respected security sites and forums the thoughts of the professional community does not appear to be a positive one.

This site makes for interesting reading http://www.grcsucks.com/

Make up your own mind :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah I prefer to run an OS not susceptible to the vast majority of malware and hacking attempts, and NAT at the router as well :D.

I usually prefer not to run software firewalls like the one built into Windows XP. Most hacks happen on the trusted side. Trojans and other backdoors are what you should be really afraid of. I'm not going to say that I'm 100% secure because I'm not. I just do my best to take precaution in regards to the net.

I use a Sonicwall TZ170 and don't worry about it either way.
:)

So far the only thing I can see by having this unit in Stealth mode is I don't get hit by random scans as often as I have without using it. Not enough to make a difference though.

Yea, smoothwall works great. The service that it comes with it is the intrusion detector Snort.

Back