• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there a benifit to extreme cooling...no

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arealsparky

Registered
After an extreme upgrade, for apperance and performance, I have found that super cooling is by no means a performance enhancer, in fact my set up will not boot to its solid water cooled performance standard. Granted, I only posses a 3500 processor, I would like to think that some combination should out perform a basic, well a maze 4, water cooled set up. As it stands my board is not oc'able with any v,mem,ht,fsb or irq set up I have tried. I am not claiming to have tried them all,just that if the performance increase is there it is well hidden. I doubt ther is anyhting that can help this, I am playing half life 2 at stock speeds, but only until I removethe tecs, unless I can be convinced otherwise. One thing to note, to the touch the sytem is very cool, actually cooler than the room, even when playing

Do you have a Winchester 3500+? If so, you should have done your homework, as current gen Winchester chips rarely work under sub-zero temps. Most won't post, much less OC.

Nuclear_Fuzion said:
Do you have a Winchester 3500+? If so, you should have done your homework, as current gen Winchester chips rarely work under sub-zero temps. Most won't post, much less OC.
thats a bios issue.

It's a newcastle core. It runs great as long as I dont' oc it. my x800 pro did manage an increase from 549/540 to 585/540. All in all, I think I'm headed back to straight h2o. I keep the cooling parts for hopes of picking up an fx chip in the future. The experience was cool, but all in all the extra 306 watts of cooling gave me a slower system. Hope I can reverse it...(tried a couple of different bios versions too)

you must be doing something wrong with the tec's, or your system just doesnt like the cold. extreme cooling gives awesome results if used properly.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
you must be doing something wrong with the tec's, or your system just doesnt like the cold. extreme cooling gives awesome results if used properly.
My sentiments exactally.

What have you changed since swaping from watercooling?

Do you have insulation over a mosfet or something, causing it to overheat?

have you verified that your cpu is actually colder?

Is there a pelt running from the same powersupply as your computer, possably effecting your voltage stabilities?

Do you have a high powered computer, monitors, and pelt powersupplies all running from the same circuit in your house? They are rated for 15 amps normally, but with all you stuff and who knows what else you may be overloading the circuit.

20A circuit with 1500 and a 500 va line conditioner, processor reads in the teens c and is below zero at the plate. Mosfet...all have heat sinks epoxied to them via artic silver with dow corning stuff coating the terminals to make sure the epoxy did not contact. I did have to remove a pci card, just a tv card to accomodate the pelt non the gpu. the rearrangement seemed to corupt the wifi card had to renable it, though I still don't understand why this happened. Got 306 watts of tecs on a dedicated aspire 500 watt power supply holding at 11.5v continuous, and a 550 watt aerocool for the rest of the system, voltage on tap is 113 at the wall and 115 after the line conditioner via fluke 87...any other ideas the system was solid at 2,3,8,[email protected] on memory, spread spectrum disabled ht @ 5x and fsb at 218 with + 3.3% 1.5v cpu. now it gets bsod at 210 fsb all ht levels +5.5% v with 2.5,3,3,6 on mem at 2.5-6 and 7 I could try really cranking the voltage, but why the initial drop in the first place???

hmm... only thing that sounds a little weird is the 306 watts of pelts on a 500 watt psu. The wattage of the psu means nothing, what matters is the amperage it can handle on the 12V line (assuming you have the pelts on the 12V line)

If the 12V line is at 11.5 volts and the temps are ok I guess the supply is handling it ok though. Maby you should put a voltmeter on the 12V line powering the pelts, and leave it on while you run your computer. See if the computer crashing is related to the pelt power crapping out or something.

I thought of that and the 11.5 is on the pelt lead, the ps has a 35A rated 12V rail, it is still running strong to date, I haven't removed the pelts yet, but I keep an eye on it as I don't think it was really designed for continuous use at that current. I wonder if maybe I just have a lower performing processor?

Just to fill in whoever said it's a bios issue, not completely true. Over at xtremesystems many people have tried up to EIGHT different 3000+'s or 3200+'s on the same board...some did work, some didn't, i think it's like a 1 in 5 chance overall that you'll get a chip that'll work.

But yeah...you did something wrong man...I'm pretty sure you'd see a difference from 2.2ghz and 3ghz... =P

Back