• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Duct it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maester_advent1

OK, so i gave my friend an old case of mine, because its bigger than his old one and has better airflow. I told him there was a better way to cool his oced cpu which was reaching temps of 55c + which i didnt like to see at all. Of couse he was excited to do anything that would like him run more stable. So we scoured his garage for somthing that we could use as a duct. We found some roof flashing, its a very thin tin. about 1/32 of an inch thick... it was perfect for cuting and bending to our will. Cut it to shape and covered every part on the outside with electrical tape for extra insurance and becaue it looked better than way. The duct fit over the Fan that sits on the heat sink for the cpu and then went to an open fan socket so it would pull in cool air from outside the case and the cpu temp droped 15 deg normal and 10deg full load! The case temp also droped about 12deg C and the PSU blows out cool to warm air instead of hot. So basicly the cpu heats the entire case... cool that and everything eles most likely cools down at leaste 5deg! If your looking for somthing astedicly pleasing try some clear acrilic and cool cathod lights to spice it up, all of your friends will be in aw as they see you temps stay at a cool 40c~

Hey, good job, and welcome to the Forums.

But be careful though, once you get the modding bug, you could have it for life!

:)

Maester_advent1 said:
all of your friends will be in aw as they see you temps stay at a cool 40c~

Most excellent!! It's so great when you see temps drop so much.

How about a pic?

Maester_advent1 said:
warm air instead of hot. So basicly the cpu heats the entire case... cool that and everything eles most likely cools down at leaste 5deg! If your looking for somthing astedicly pleasing try some clear acrilic and cool cathod lights to spice it up, all of your friends will be in aw as they see you temps stay at a cool 40c~

Great! Never thought of using a roof jack for a duct. I guess any way you can blast outside air directly on the CPU works. I did about the same thing, but found the duct didn't need to be real close to the CPU.
Here's my "ghetto" cooler and filter that uses pretty close to the same principle, just different material. http://webpages.charter.net/bobad/cool.htm

i haven't even had a chance to mod anything like i want because of finiancial reasons and lack of tools. it's killing me. i got a new drill for chrismas and i am dying to use it on the ol' computer case. ARGH :bang head

Back