• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
learning about computers is fun, i wouldn't count that into consideration...

building and buying stuff online is also fun

i easily got over 10,000 on voodoo's site, lol

add the 4,000 dollar monitor...!!

My argument about automaintnance compared to building a computer is this:
When you first build a computer you need to do research, and take time to learn how to do it right and what to get.
First time you change your breaks oil etc it;s the same thing.
Both are easy, both save a lot of money.

People ***** about not building a computer, when they most likely "waste", "throw away" money on a mechanic to do it.

That's my point, for a lot of people, it's just not worth the hassle to learn how to build a computer....just like it is for most people to not want to learn how to rip apart breaks.

The reason I said that about my dad is that he's educated, but simply doesn't want to spend his free time messing with computer hardware...believe it not (and this is obviously quite a shock to most of you) most people don't like working with hardware!

Ooh! Ooh! I (and a friend) have done the last two brake jobs on my car!

I don't change my own oil though. . .too much of a pain to dispose of it - can't pour it out behind the garage anymore like my father used to do :D

Of course, I'm of the mindset that if somebody wants to spend money on an Alienware, who are we to say they are wrong?

Hell, I could build my own house if I wanted to, but I sure as heck ain't gonna do it.

Slackfumasta said:
Ooh! Ooh! I (and a friend) have done the last two brake jobs on my car!

I don't change my own oil though. . .too much of a pain to dispose of it - can't pour it out behind the garage anymore like my father used to do :D

Of course, I'm of the mindset that if somebody wants to spend money on an Alienware, who are we to say they are wrong?

Hell, I could build my own house if I wanted to, but I sure as heck ain't gonna do it.

Most local garages/shops will take it. I got a pepboys right across the street that will take it. If they charge you though go somewhere else, there is always a place to take it. Although sometimes its just so cheap to take it and get it done, but I only do that when I have a coupon that makes it cheaper or there is some sort of promotional deal.

Well, i can talk from experience with Alienware.

3 years ago, i bought an Aurora DDR system

XP 2100+ (palomino)
ASUS A7N-266C
340W PSU
768MB PC2100 RAM
100GB WD (8mb cache, ooooh)
GF4 Ti4600 (was $400 at the time)
40x CD-R
16X DVD
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
19" CRT monitor
Mouse/Keyboard
XP Pro

Total (with shipping and all) - $3685.

At the time, that was a really good computer. (now i know better though)
It ran really really well, and their customer service was awesome.
Great company, beautiful product? Yep.
Overpriced? yeah, but some would say it's worth it.

i think Voodoo takes the cake for overpricing.

nah Falcon wins in the rip-off department. I've configured $8k systems that you can build or even configure with other manufacturers it would only cost you about 3500. Its all in teh little details that you can pick which are ultimately worthless but cost you like 500 a piece. Like thier "custom paint" jobs.

We all want a computer that works all the time, that's a given. No one, and I mean NO ONE has to pay those kinds of prices to get that kind of performance.

thank you. thats exactly what i wanted to point out

don256us said:
Just to add my oppinion to this. We don't expect high end car enthusiasts to build thier own Ferrai, or Bently, etc. Why would we expect enthusiasts to build their own rig. It is us hobbiests that build machines. We are the techies, gear heads, etc. we are the ones who are not afraid to get dirty and build from the ground up.

if i bought a ferrari i wouldn't want to open the hood to find honda parts, if i pay top dollar i expect top parts! What alienware is doing is ridiculous, however if people can't be bothered spending half an hour on the internet to find that with alienwares pricing 1+1=4 thats their decision, as they say: "theres a sucker born every minute"

A little behind in the times? AW doesn't sell their systems via BB anymore.

What is the point of this thread? I just read the whole thing...and it makes no sense.

Build you own PC, but don't build you own car? WTH is this all about?

Just because you -can- build a PC, doesn't mean you're going to. I bought an Alienware 3 years ago, moderatly prices at a little over 2k. They system is still running beautifully. I know what's under the hood, so to say. Just because I was a full time student going to classes and working full time, doesn't mean I don't have the ability to build myself.

As for the parts AW uses...they typically have the latest graphics cards and processors before retail stores and websites. When I got my AW, I had the ti4600 before it was officially released anywhere else.

I've never had too much trouble with AW. In fact, my 4600 died just before my warantee ended, they reimbursed my $400 card for a new 9800pro. -That's- service. Anywhere else, or even built-myself, I would have been out another $400 for a new card.

I'm starting to ramble...but if someone wants to spend 10k on a PC...let em. If you wanna save 5k and do it yourself, then do it. Apples and oranges. Apples and oranges.

gravitywell said:
A little behind in the times? AW doesn't sell their systems via BB anymore.

Only by a few months I guess. Last time I was there (probably 5 months ago), they were carrying some green AW system. I'm not quite "up" on Best Buy's lameness lately. :rolleyes:

I install windows in houses, I work my butt off doing it, and in the busy season(read: 9 months out of the year) I work anywhere from 60 to 80 hours per week. That work entails climbing ladders with windows on my shoulder, cutting holes in brick walls to install windows and doors, up and down stairs/ladders 6 dozen times a day, before lunch, and I still build my own computers.

I goto school at michigan tech...it's the norm for all my friends to change they're own oil, breakpads, suspensions, etc....how many of you do that?

Woah... we're getting some heated discussions here. I for one would not ever buy a computer ever again - building is so much cheaper and so much more fun :)

I don't think any of us have a problem with the people buying the computers, more a problem with the company selling them. Sure, Alienware is good for people who want a high-spec machine but aren't techies - however, isn't it likely that a person who doesn't know enough about a computer to know that Alienware is ripping them off, isn't interested in being a power user i.e. playing the latest games or video editing etc?

Isn't it more likely that it's the son/daughter of the professional who knows nothing about computer, but is a total SUCKER for slick advertising, and wants a cool-looking pc to show off to his friends. He's the kind of person who gets taken in by cool-sounding marketing words, and since it's probably not his money that's going to be funding the pc - he doesn't mind too much.

And Alienware are waiting, with their arms wide open - ready to embrace another person with their flashy looking cool-named machines. They're happy because they get £2000 richer. The rich-kid's happy because he gets a flash machine to do Microsoft Word, the occasional game (but most of all to show off.)

The only person who loses out is the professional - who actually ends up paying for it.

2 things that prove Alienware is far from a good shop:

1. Just look at their marketing. One of the things they advertise is a glowing "AlienIce Cooling System." Now that sounds cool, up until I discovered it was just a blue or red cold cathode tube! Only a shop like Alienware would give a fancy name to a light!

2. They're obviously in bed with certain companies (Nvidia.) I was checking out laptops on there, and they've got 2 choices in the video card section: FX5700 and Radeon 9700 Pro. That's alright, except that it says in big letters: ALIENWARE RECOMMENDS FX5700. What??? A FX5700 will run DX9 games in DX8.1. How is it better? They cost exactly the same on Alienware's price list, so why are they making a consumer go for an FX? Only one explanation - they're in bed with Nvidia.

Last edited:
Terminat. said:
Woah... we're getting some heated discussions here. I for one would not ever buy a computer ever again - building is so much cheaper and so much more fun :)

I don't think any of us have a problem with the people buying the computers, more a problem with the company selling them. Sure, Alienware is good for people who want a high-spec machine but aren't techies - however, isn't it likely that a person who doesn't know enough about a computer to know that Alienware is ripping them off, isn't interested in being a power user i.e. playing the latest games or video editing etc?

Not neccisarily. Just because people don't know anything about computers doesn't mean the only things they use computers for is something Dell's cheapest model can handle. I'm sure there are lots of people who are interested in up-to-date gaming but not interested in taking the time to research how to build it, whats the best parts, where to buy, how to troubleshoot, deal with problems, etc. We, as people who like to do these things, have become experienced and have fun doing that. As hard as it may be for you to understand, there are people who wouldn't enjoy that, and there are people who enjoy games or even video editing among other "heavy duty" tasks on a computer but don't want to or can't learn what many of us know.

Not neccisarily. Just because people don't know anything about computers doesn't mean the only things they use computers for is something Dell's cheapest model can handle. I'm sure there are lots of people who are interested in up-to-date gaming but not interested in taking the time to research how to build it, whats the best parts, where to buy, how to troubleshoot, deal with problems, etc. We, as people who like to do these things, have become experienced and have fun doing that. As hard as it may be for you to understand, there are people who wouldn't enjoy that, and there are people who enjoy games or even video editing among other "heavy duty" tasks on a computer but don't want to or can't learn what many of us know enough about a computer to know that Alienware is ripping them off, isn't interested in being a power user i.e. playing the latest games or video editing etc?

I see your point, but still I disagree. Sure, there are likely to be gamers who know nothing about computers, but these are nearly always very light gamers.

As for power users, most of the time, software experts are hardware experts as well. I'm sure you'll find that most people who can write in C++ and edit Linux source code are also able to at least do minor pc maintenance - like changing out an IDE drive and resetting the CMOS, while a majority can do more advanced things like swap out a motherboard.

thats simply not true. just because they know nothing, little, or dont know how to build a computer/and or troubleshoot it does not automaticly brand them as light gamers. just because you dont know anyone who likes to play the latest games who knows nothing, little, or doesnt know how to build a computer doesnt mean they dont exist. there are people who like to play the latest and greatest games, but dont want to learn how to build a troublshoot a computer. generally, yes a gamer knows more about computers than your average grandma, and usually they know how to build one. they may have their own that they built. but not ALL hardcore/latest game playing gamers are this way.

thats simply not true. just because they know nothing, little, or dont know how to build a computer/and or troubleshoot it does not automaticly brand them as light gamers. just because you dont know anyone who likes to play the latest games who knows nothing, little, or doesnt know how to build a computer doesnt mean they dont exist. there are people who like to play the latest and greatest games, but dont want to learn how to build a troublshoot a computer. generally, yes a gamer knows more about computers than your average grandma, and usually they know how to build one. they may have their own that they built. but not ALL hardcore/latest game playing gamers are this way.

Yes, and by no means am I saying that ALL gamers are like that, just the majority.

One of the reasons for this is that heavy gamers are often very curious people who like to explore new things - hence their appetite for games. One thing leads to another and soon they are experimenting with computer hardware.

Obviously that's not the case for all gamers, but for a LOT of them it is.

I agree w/ both of you, but more so w/ Terminat..

I consult for a living and I usually get a couple peple every month or two who are interested in upgrading their PC or having a completely new one built for them. Probably 75% of the people who are interested in gaming don't know anything about computers and someone told them that PC games are much better than console games; some just want to play Doom 3 (w/ full settings) and HL2. In the end though, many of them don't wish to learn much about the computer. I still get calls from people who I've built gaming rigs for last year, about the usual virus or spyware problem, and they are still as clueless as they were when I built the computer for them.

Now like I said, it's probably around 75% of my gaming customers, the other 25% are totally gung-ho about learning everything there is to learn about computers.

So not to take sides or anything, but I have to agree more w/ Terminat. one some of his statements.

Yeah, this may or may not lend useful information, but my roomie loves playing games (console and computer), but he a complete moron when it comes to computer hardware.

Example: 2 days ago I took his case (it has 2 120mm fans, front and back), and put a hole in the side panel and installed another 90mm fan there. In my haste, and due to the fact that he was annoying me, I installed the fan backwards (i wanted it as an outtake, it was functioning as an intake). Luckily I told him to check it and he caught my mistake, but instead of pulling out a screwdriver and turning it around, he ******* and moans at me to do it because he was too afraid that he would mess something up.

OK, back on topic...

i know the feeling, when my mum got broadband she couldn't get it working she asked me to come over and try and fix it,when i got there i found she'd plug the usb cable (external modem) into the NETWORK port! when io aked why she adn't used the included network cable she told me she didn't know where to pug it in...

this isn't the first time i've experienced this sort of thing, when my parents (divorced btw) tried to setup dial-up modems (before they found the light) insisted on plugging the cable meant to go to the modem into the network port (i even had an argument with my dad over it) lol

Back