• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZNBoiOnFIYA

compared to all the current gaming computers out there, alienware has got to only one who overcharges for everything. even given the fact that their cheapest system was priced around $900, it includes nothing:256 pc3200, intel extreme graphics, 80gb hard-drive. how does this company expect to survive in the current competitive technology sector if it overprices its systems?

Because to somebody who doesnt know computers, an Alienware is the best you can get.

You see we have been tainted, we know we can build a rig just as good (if not better) for WAAAY less money.

becuause they advertise, and have flashy products.

Look at intel back in the end of their p3 and p4 willamete days. The only thing good to come out of intel around that time was the tualtin, everything else was junk and a waste. You could buy an AMD system that would crush the p3 and p4's in any app for the same or cheaper price.

ajrettke said:
becuause they advertise, and have flashy products.
EXACTALLY......lol just look at thermaltake. They are targeting people with more money than sense..which sadly is more than 1/2 of the people on the planet. Cant blame em tho, seeing im a buisness major lol.

jbloudg20 said:
Because to somebody who doesnt know computers, an Alienware is the best you can get.

You see we have been tainted, we know we can build a rig just as good (if not better) for WAAAY less money.
Exactly

Guys,
This should be in vendor discussion.

And yes, Alienware is the ripzilla of our times, not to mention advertising OC'd rigs as their super secret "enchancement".

i really dont understand who buys their rigs. i dont even think that the rich uneducated consumer would, seeing as how they probably wouldnt know about alienware. why are they not going out of business or something?

I have a friend who won an alienware in a premotional gaming tournament. Pretty sleek if you ask me. I dont see why you guys have such a big problem with these high end pre-built systems. You gotta understan that not everyone is willing to put up with the headaches of building a system just to save a few bucks or even a few hundrd. I know its fun for us, it's our hobby. But some folks jsut like to open a box, push a button, and have everything up and running. And if they have the means, I say more power to em.

i just believe that if people want a high performance rig, they should be willing to do it themselves. especially when it costs much, much less to do it on their own. with a little research and care, you can have something you can be proud of. i personally shaved over 2 grand off the price of my rig by building it myself.

just my 2 copper pennies

copper_top said:
I have a friend who won an alienware in a premotional gaming tournament. Pretty sleek if you ask me. I dont see why you guys have such a big problem with these high end pre-built systems. You gotta understan that not everyone is willing to put up with the headaches of building a system just to save a few bucks or even a few hundrd. I know its fun for us, it's our hobby. But some folks jsut like to open a box, push a button, and have everything up and running. And if they have the means, I say more power to em.
well thats just it, Alienware is for those people that have the $$ and want the best but don't care about knowing what's under the hood. I personally think that building your own gives you special/unique knowledge about computers that it seems like very few people in this world have and you have now created something from scratch that works and you can be proud of your accomplishment vs. buying you can just sit back and say "oohhh, ahhhh" because it is like a black box that can play games really fast; plus you can save lots of money:)

If you really wanna skip all the fuss of building your own, why not just buy something from like ibuypower?

There, you get a prebuilt system with whatever specs you want, and I gauruntee its at least 1000 bucks less than a similar system from alienware or falcon nw.

well would you want to build your own car and know every part thats under the hood? i dont think so. to some people computers are as complicated as cars. they just dont want to deal with the problems. like said above, they just want to press the power button and have it work. dont tell me you dont know people like this because most people are this way. why do you think dell is so popular? they dont provide the elusive rigs that alienware provides, but they provide a machine that works (most of the time) without any trouble. the common person doesnt want to take the time to learn how to build a rig and deal with the problems that arrise.

svnrd said:
i just believe that if people want a high performance rig, they should be willing to do it themselves. especially when it costs much, much less to do it on their own. with a little research and care, you can have something you can be proud of. i personally shaved over 2 grand off the price of my rig by building it myself.

just my 2 copper pennies

while this is opinion, its not a very good point. there are car enthusiests who want fast, souped up, tricked out car but dont want to do the work themselves, there are shops that will build them their dream car, but again for a price. a high performance computer is the same way. some people want it but dont want to deal with building it. so places like alienware step in and do it for them for a price. is it overpriced? depends on who you are. to us, who do the work ourselves and can save the money yes it is overpriced. to someone who wants it and is willing to pay for it, no it may not be overpriced to them.

why arent they going out of business? because there is a market. like customizing cars for celebrities or company CEO's, there is a market of people who have the money to pay for it, but dont have the time or patience to learn how to do it.

Laziness, its all about laziness.

Example:

Last month i picked up some really cheap DDR-RAM from a dutch 2nd hand site. The guy was nuts, he was asking 20$ for 2 sticks of 256MB ddr400. Before buying from him, i told him that the price he asked was kinda low, and that he could get more if he waited a little longer. (say, he could have gotten three times more). His answer? 'well, i aint got the time for that'

He didnt have time to make another 40$ by waiting a few days and mailing some people. Sad, but true.

I think thats the way alienware survives. There are so many people that might even know a little about pcs, but theyre just to 'busy' to spend a little time on it.

Back