• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless repeater help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BC|Wulf

My wife is complaining of poor signal quality when she uses her laptop in our lower level. I am running a Linksys WAP11 (I think). It is the wireless B access point. I have been thinking of buying another one and setting up a repeater in the basement so she can get better signal.

My question is does the AP have more power to receive and transmit than the little PCMCIA card in teh laptop?

I looked at getting the booster antenna's but for the price of them I buy another wireless B AP. For a little more monwy I could buy a Wireless G AP.

WOuld it work if I used the G AP at my router, and used the B AP as the repeater? She does nto need the speed since she only uses the network for email and web surfing. I just need a stronger signal down there.

Thanks!

Got an answer out of linksys. The WAP11 can be used with the WAP54G in repeater mode as long as the WAP11 is hardware revision 2.6 or 2.8.

Ok I got my Linksys WAP54G AP last night and set it up. The first part is done...my wife can connect to teh wireless G AP with her wireless B network card.

The problem is still signal strength sucks. I hooked up my B AP to my router and reset it to factory defaults, then selected the repeater mode and put in the MAC address for the WAP54G AP. I tok it downstairs and plugged it in, but the signal strength did not increase at all.

How can you tell if your repeater is actually doing its job? I need help setting this up please!

Back