• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noisy PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

Yesterday I decided to run my PC w/ no fans on (except the PSU and northbridge fan which i left pluged it)...my comp lasted 10 min before it hit 60 deg and my BIOS shut if down...

LESSONS LEANRED
1. When an ABIT board shuts ur comp down because the temps are too high, the 2 toned siren doesnt stop
2. my PSU is the loudest part of my system|Enlight 420 W
3. my HDD is the 2nd loudest |WD Caviar
4. An all copper heatsink with no fan running for 10 min can burn you (even at only 60deg C)
5. BIOS thermal protection works

Well for the athlon xp system not all bios thermal protection features will work, but this is not relevant to a a64 system since they have it built into the chip so there is no need to rely on the bios to it for you. This should have gone in th mobo section though, but good to know you didn't kill your cpu.

Don't all nf2 boards have ABSII built in?
Not surprising the heatsink burned you ... 60c = 140f
may have been even hotter up where you touched it.

Was just reading your sig prankstar, you don't like the Lian Li?

Im beginning to mod the crap out of the lian li..which is making me like it a little better....the reason i posted this (not in the mobo section) was because i wanna know how to make my psu more quiet....sorry if i was unclear

Back