• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Homemade plexiglass case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dimmreaper

Hey guys I'm going to make my own plexiglass case. I have a pretty good Idea about how to go about it, but I'm interested in reading further. Anyone have any links to DIY clearcase articles? If you do thanks.

When I built mine I just took the measurements off of my normal case and modified them to my liking. Just make sure you get nice flat edges so you can glue the pieces all together. Otherwise you'll be screwed like me. I had to use metal brackets. Which I had to cover up with a molding or trim around all the edges. I just used a Dremel to cutt all my holes for Cdrom, fans, PSU's, etc...

Now that case is just sitting out in my garage collecting dust. Has been for sometime now. I need to cutt another hole for my second CDRW. Just never got around to doing it. One of these days I will get it all back in there. I will have two weeks off of work soon when my wife has the baby. Maybe I'll get it done then.

Good Luck and have fun.

I was thinking of using a router(the wood working tool, not the networking one) and a straight edge to get the nice straight edges. Think that would work OK?

dimmreaper said:
I was thinking of using a router(the wood working tool, not the networking one) and a straight edge to get the nice straight edges. Think that would work OK?
Probably. You'd have to take it easy because if you cut too fast, it might melt the plexi just like plastic.

i finished my 2nd lexan case about a week ago, and i have a few tips for you,

1. to make things easier on yourself, you should make a frame out of wood or another sutiable materieal, it makes building the case a hell of alot easier, and also makes it possible to access your mobo, ect

2. when i made my first case, i used hard drive racks from an old server case i had lying around, simply because i didn't think that i would be able to make them, if you are lazy, do this, making racks for your hdd, 3.5, and cd's is a pain in the ***

3. try and mount everytyhing to the frame that you have built, it will hold the weight of your heavy components (powersupply) easier, and it is less likely to warp

that is about it, oh yeah i al most forgot, DON'T TAKE OFF THE PAPER COVER OFF UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO PUT IT TOGETHER

A router should work fine but I agree with Crazy Jayhawk. You do take the chance of melting the plastic. When I cutt my holes with a Dremel it did melt the plastic. But that all breaks right off. And once you mount your components in there you wont see that at all anymore.

I made all my harddrive and cdrom racks with plexyglass as well. I don't have any frame in mine at all. but mine case is bolted together with brackets. It's plenty to support the wait of all my hardware. The downfall is that the motherboard mounts stand up directly off the plexy glass so there's no removable tray. I wanted it that way though so you could see the back side of the motherboard board thru the case. I suppose you could just create a tray with the plexy glass if you wanted. I was'nt that creative. Just wanted to get it all done.

Thanks for all your help guys, but I changed my mind about what material to use. I've got a full 4'x6' sheet of 0.125" thick 6160 aluminum at work, so I'm going to use it instead, I'm going to TIG weld it all, so it will be very cool. The case is going to be Tiny only 14.5x6.5x10. (HxWxD) and contain a fully watercooled system. I need to find a smaller 300w PSU. I can't find a micro-ATX-300W PSU, highest micro-ATX I can find is an eMachines 250w replacement. I've found a couple of 300W 1U rackmount PSUs, but they are $120-130, a piece! So if anyone has any other Ideas let me know . . .

Back