• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much does ram affect FPS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
How much of an affect does RAM have on FPS. I know it will be dependent on the game, but on average, with say HL2, DOOM 3, or CS:S.

That is kind of a broad question. Are you talking about ram on the video card, or system memory? If you are talking ram on the video card then it really depends. If you only have a video card with 64mb of memory then bumping up to a video card with 128mb of memory for one of the games that you mentioned will have a great effect. If you are talking system memory then it is pretty much the same answer, except it will effect your overall gaming experience, not just fps. It all really depends on the system that you are wanting to add more memory to, and the video card that you are running. But if you are already marginal in the memory department, say less than 512mb of memory, or less than 128mb of video card memory then doubling your memory will have a great effect on those newer types of games. It will even help in some of the older DX8.0 and up games. Also adding system memory will help load times greatly.

I belive he is referenceing to system RAM and even that is a really broad subject. You obviously have something in mind so please share it with us.

What RAM are you comparing?

This depends on if you are talking...amount of ram...are bandwidth...by the way it is asked...it can be taken either way...

BTW - If you have something in mind...you might think about moving up to a S754 claw and keep the ram...there is where you will see the biggest performance...

Last edited:
As far as my interpretation goes, he means he is thinking of adding more system memory (i.e. another stick) but wants to know the cost/benefit info. Adding more memory to a lower ram (<1gb) system will give you an obvious boost in performance with today's hit games. However, if you have an exceptional rig (i.e. > or = 1gb) then adding more system ram will probably not give you a major fps boost. There are some limiting factors to the whole equation such as price, advantage gained, and number of slots on your motherboard to consider before asking such a general question.

Well i think people blo out of proportion how much better 1 Gig is.

I went from 512 to 1024, and there was a noticeible difference but not as much as upgrading other stuff, like GPU, CPU.

Windows is definatly snapier at opening stuff up, and games will load faster with more memory.

ya i heard that 512 memory is good for windows but if you get 1024 you wont really feel a different in windows but in gaming you will

but what would i know im still running on 256 i didn't really notice when i played counter strike it loaded a bit faster very noticable but windows looked a little stabler but what would i know i have pos ram dont make fun of me people.... :'(

i beleive that a gig is the way to for games these days, even though i only currently have 512. with some of the higher end newer games 512 can be a bottleneck to your system, especially when your playing on a packed server with lots of action. i have had a gig in the past and i see a difference with just 512.

512 = Minimum
1024 = Good spot for gaming system
2048 = Way more then you'll ever need in a game currently (exception EQ2)

ya like back then like what 32 mb's was alot now 1024 is alot im sure from a while from now that 1024 is gonna be like the 32 mb's right now , just basically a pos

Please tell us why you are asking this question. It is such a broad question that I am really wondering if you are planning on upgrading, or if you are juggling a few things around and are trying to pick which one will give you the most bang for your buck. If you have less than 512mb of memory, then definately upgrade your memory. If you have 512mb of memory or more, but have less than a 9600 Pro video card, then upgrading your video card will give you a major boost in games. If you have less than an Athlon XP 2000 or equivelant, then and 512mb of memory and a 9600 Pro or better then upgrade your cpu to the best that you can, and if need be upgrade the mobo too. Of coarse with the memory and cpu there are altering factors, like overclockability etc. Like my old XP1700 would run at 2100-2300mhz all day long depending on the outside temps. SO yes, getting your bandwidth up on your memory, (fsb) will definately bring an on the virge computer up out of the dumps and help it run games reasonably. I myself have been using this method of OC'ing for years to keep my rigs cost effective gamers. Dating back to the Celeron Flip CHip days, going from 66fsb to 100 was a huge boost to those lousy chips and made them reasonable gamers in thier day.

Well, I was asking the questions for a range of reasons, but more or less, trying to determine the bottle neck of a given system. All the replies have helped out.

Well if you want to figure out whats holding you back. Post you system specs.

Okay sure,

2500+ Barton @ 2.4
512 PC3200 Mushkin Ram
6600gt at stock speeds
FSB @ 200mhz
RAM @ 200mhz

Overall looks like ram might be hurting you a little.

Other then that if you want to improve things these are other suggestions.

CPU = Low end FPS
Ram = Load times/sometimes fixes choppy gameplay
GPU = High end FPS and all the goodies you can throw at it

What you might want to check is task manager and see how much ram/pagefile is being used during game play. Most certainly its going to be eating at least 300-400Megs with typical games these days. So adding ram will help with some slow spot issues.

Back