• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does OCing make games run worse??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

|2ufes1

I have an PIII ~450 and wish to OC it to 600
is there anything special i need to know???
I am buying better fans and heatsinks...

And so.. OCing this chip will it make it run gamez worse in terms of fps???

also does anyone know a goot tutorial for overclocking...???? I couldn't find one on this site THANKS!

No it shouldint decrease the fps, it should actualy increse them but these days, its mostly up to the video card on how your 3D performance is but the higher the cpu speed the better the game runs.

It also depends on how you reached your OC. If you had to downgrade a lot of your settings like the in-order-qeue-depth, AGP speed & aperture size, memory timings, etc. etc. It's possible your 3D performance gets lower or stays about the same...

When I was running my BE6-II, I had my PIII 800 @ 1008mhz. One time I was just playing around in the bios. Well for a few days the system just lagged and stuttered during games. I could not figure out what it was. I ever went as far as to reinstall windows. Then I realized I had changed my in-order-qeue-depth. I felt pretty retarded! I finaly realized it after I did some memory benchmarking and they were horrible. Changed it back and ran fast again.

Also if you start jacking your AGP bus up there real high, sometimes it can effect how well the system runs while gaming. I had a PIII 600 I could overclock to 840mhz. Well the system ran fine but for gaming it sucked cause I had my AGP bus running way to fast. I backed it down to 822mhz and it ran fine. That little difference in the AGP bus speed made all the difference. Once again it depends on the motherboard and vid card as well.

Last edited:
|2ufes1 said:

also does anyone know a goot tutorial for overclocking...???? I couldn't find one on this site THANKS!

There are some nice newbie guides around here,

look on the front page under tips and techniques and then Beginner guides

Thankyou all for ur help.....
I have an intel botherboard would that make OCing n e more complicated... I have read a couple of tutorials and it seems kinda difficult but kinda easy...

I got one of those GAY hewlett packard things but i have upgraded it HEAPS and it doesnt even resemble one n e more.... the only thing i was wondering was did they give me some f**ked up motherboard that is hard to OC???

THANKYOU ALL!!

I'm sowwy fella, but if you have a true Intel brand mainboard you can forget that OC :( Intel made sure there are no OCing options available. Maybe you can still try it with a program called SoftFSB.

not only that..

But A P2-450 wont do 600. At least I severely doubt it. If you disable the l2 cache it might do a tad over 500, but 450's just dont clock much. Check the oc.com CPU database for the P2-450. Im sure the results will bear out my observation.

|2ufes1 said:

We are the tutorial. Just keep the Questions coming.:) Seriously though the overclocking process is not set in stone. Some magazines have, in the past, included articles on the overclocking process. One that I can remember is Maximum PC. You may be able to obtain an archive copy by going to their website www.maximumpc.com. They have a Re-Print section that they recommend you visit for past overclocking articles. I tried to visit the reprint section and found it in rebuilding. The April 1999 issue has an article on overclocking older machines. Ask for Volumn 4 number 4.

Last edited:
a friend of mine succeeded in clocking the cpu at 558 Mhz, raising the voltage. (the default fan, heatsink). Try a better cooler/heatsing and also try raising the voltagr

G o o d L u c k :)

Back