• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PearPC, decently fast?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhoenixMDM

Piano Man
I upgraded my main box to yoper 2.2 (yay! i'm even more in love than before!). I'm thinking of getting a mac laptop of some sort in a few months, and figure it would be nice to get a hang of OSX before i go and buy the thing, that way if i decide i can't stand OSX i don't get stuck with a mac laptop.

I've heard about PearPC, and I've heard you can install OSX in it. My friend's got an OSX 10.3 disc I can borrow, or at least he'd better let me borrow it *nudges keiron*

Is PearPC fast enough to get a feel for macs? I'd be installing on an XP-M 2200+ with 1.5 gigs of ram.

It's definitely not. If I remember correctly, the best they say you can get is 1/15th of full speed. It'd be better just to go to a mac store and try one out for a while.
Of course if you end up hating OSX, you can always put Linux on it. Lots of distros support PPC.

Yah, you're free to borrow the disk. I got it with that stupid G3 of mine (same time as the clamshell) and OSX won't run on it (nor will anything else but OS9/Yellowdog). That thing taught me to hate macs....

Back