• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folder redirection and roaming profiles question..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Howdy,

I'm having an issue with one of my clients that I can't seem to troubleshoot. We built them a w2k3 server with about 20 XP pro clients running Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, and we use roaming profiles.

Their profiles are mapped to a hidden share on the D: drive of the server so the path in the "Profile" tab of each user is "\\Server-name\Profiles$\%username%".

Now, I wanted to redirect the "My Documents" folder in each profile directly to the server so that when they logon/logoff all that crap isn't pushed around the network.

I am using the "Basic" setting for folder redirection with the path of "\\Servername\Profiles$\%username%" which, according to the w2k3 window, would Susy Enduser's files into "\\Servername\Profiles$\SusyE\My Documents".

However, I have one of two problems arise: Either the files in the My Doc's folder are erased at log off, or they can't delete them successfully. The delete issue is quite odd, the user can double click the My Docs on their desktop, delete a file, logoff, then when they log back in, it's there again....

Any ideas as to what I missed?

Thanks,
Wedo

Sounds like an offline folders issue to me; XP has it enabled by default, and when used with folder redirection it has always caused issues for me, at least with users being able to use it properly.

Try turning off Offline Files and see if you have more success.

Back