• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AVG 7.0 Free not updating...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

Has anyone here had problems with AVG 7.0 not updating properly? According to their forums, it is because of server overload. Apparently, the free version does not have access to their high bandwidth server (becasue its the free version). I can manually update it, but that means I have to do it that way to all my computers (4 +1 laptop).. not to mention all the people that I've built machines for and are now complaining about this.

Anyone know of another good free replacement for AVG? Because if AVG continues down this road, and not addressing the issue, I'll find me another antivirus provider.

Lee

I've had this to. I usually update around 8am and I can't get through so I have to manually update it. I wish they fix this but I can't complain to much because it is free.

I don't know of another free antivirus solution. But maybe it will get better soon.

I updated at 7:45 AM EST this morning without any problems. I've been trying to update my wife's computer since a few minutes after 8:00 and still haven't reached their server.

palee72 said:
Has anyone here had problems with AVG 7.0 not updating properly? According to their forums, it is because of server overload. Apparently, the free version does not have access to their high bandwidth server (becasue its the free version). I can manually update it, but that means I have to do it that way to all my computers (4 +1 laptop).. not to mention all the people that I've built machines for and are now complaining about this.

Anyone know of another good free replacement for AVG? Because if AVG continues down this road, and not addressing the issue, I'll find me another antivirus provider.

Lee

Avast 4.5

http://www.avast.com

Avast is known to have majorly fast updates and will give a voice notification about the virus definitions update when the virus definitions update is complete.

been havin the same problems. but, it doesn' tmatter to me, the protection will download eventually. I've got avast! on one system here at home (on my file server), and have it running at max protection, and it has been VERY decent at catching viruses.

since most people who install AVG leave the schedules tasks to their default setting, i'd change the tasks to either early in the morning, or very late at night. might minimize the "overloaded sever" problem

I am not using version 7, though before I used a seriel does this ver not allow them? Any way Though I dont like the virus scanner until I become unlazy I will just use the one built into the "free" version of ZA security suit.

You don't have to sign up for anything. The key is included in the installer. Just download the AVG 7.0 and install. No emails needed for keys.

I upgraded to 7.0 and it kept crashing on me, I had no choice but to get rid of it. I'm using the most recent version of Avast! and it works great for me. My thanks to su root for linking me to this test site. It's a good, safe way to verify that your AV is working properly.

Back