• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venice delayed but for how long?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukemurmur

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00719/

So this means that MAYBE around 2006 we will see Venice in "full" force...but then there will be newer and better not mention faster cpu's out so what is AMDs deal i sent them an e-mail and I have received nothing back...I have called multiple times and they say nothing the people don’t even know they have cores by the names of Venice for that matter...AMD needs to pull themselves out of the there own but and actually SET a date as to when they will be released...and stick to it not just jump hop and skip around it like they ALWAYS seem to do…all that I am really saying is that they need to stop putting out false info then dancing around the truth of it as if they never had ANYTHING out…hell Venice (on there road map awhile back) was supposed to come out Q4 of 04 and here it is almost Q2 or 05 and NOTHING.
I know that this may seem like b*tching and in a LARGE way it is but I have been waiting to build a new comp on the arrival of the Venice cores…Seems like I will be waiting even longer now…and I am sure that many people feel the same way…
Just post your thoughts and any info that you have on the new Venice and San Diego cores that “appears” to be fact.

Duke

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the new cores were coming in a few months I would wait, but that does not mean that an exisiting Winchester wouldn't make for a good buy. Besides, it appears that current 90nm chips are only improving over time, with newer weeks providing some very nice clocks at close-to-stock voltage. I think the big problem here is that most people assume that AMD will not or cannot iron out it's problems unless it introduces a new core, and that is just plain false. Most of the "issues" with current chips are directly related to the infancy and inexperience of their 90nm process, but they have sinced alleviated this due to their pairing up with IBM. So if you're looking to buy pending the DFI NF4's release, then go right ahead. I say enjoy a 90nm chip now provided it is of a late week. And you can always sell that chip when the San Diego and Venice cores show up, too.

deception``

Those where my thoughts also...but i dont "really" want to by a chip just to turn around and sell it in 2 months...About the 90nm that is very try but i was mostly refering to the fact of they way the "relese" product dates on road maps and such...

Dukemurmur said:
Those where my thoughts also...but i dont "really" want to by a chip just to turn around and sell it in 2 months...

Chances are that you'll keep the existing core for longer. Most likely, these Venice chips will debut at high clock speeds and this benefit may or may not trickle down to the lower PR's in the not-too-distant future.

deception``

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=2283

Is one of the article that's causing a lot of confusion. From what I understood, AMD was going to pass over DDR2 - now apparently they aren't, and the new socket 939 is only going to be cutting edge for 1 year??

All the articles are based on the one leaked slide, which is in the above article. The big quistio is - is it genuine. The register, and other reliable internet sources are quoting this slide with caution.

So - is it true???? That's the big question.

i'm suspecting that when the venice comes out, their prices will not be as stiff, after all cores are just for us Ocer, the average consumer doesn't even know about the rating, so talking about cores are out of the question, when venice comes out and labled as A64 3200+ it will be around the 200 dollar range like the winchester, or the clawhammer now, that's why i'm waiting out :) look at the history of the barton and the Tbred, when the barton came out their prices didn't jump that much. come onnnnnn venice, alot of us is waiting for u lol

rhiridflaidd said:
http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=2283

Is one of the article that's causing a lot of confusion. From what I understood, AMD was going to pass over DDR2 - now apparently they aren't, and the new socket 939 is only going to be cutting edge for 1 year??

All the articles are based on the one leaked slide, which is in the above article. The big quistio is - is it genuine. The register, and other reliable internet sources are quoting this slide with caution.

So - is it true???? That's the big question.

AMD never meant to pass up DDR2 entirely; rather, it simply did not provide any performance incentive to include it in earlier roadmaps. However, they feel that the awful latencies of DDR2 will probably lower to something more characteristic of standard DDR within the next year or so. And don't feel so bad about s939: Every firm has make to new socket to accomodate newer ram technologies. This is largely why Intel introduced the 5xx lineup on the LGA 775 interface. Having said this, know that a nicely-clocked s939/DDR system will not be easily antiquated by DDR2 or a newer core.

deception``

So, there will be venice most likely june/july, which will have SSE3 but will probably not have strained silicon (cpu "samples") :mad:
Well, looks like i'm not getting venice anytime soon, and if I did wait till june/july, I would only be getting a "sample" of the real thing. :mad:

Will AMD will still continue the s939 line a bit more after the new socket( :mad: ) for ddr2 comes out?

i heard there's dual channel support for venice, is that true? lol we need that for AMD cuzz their memory bandwith is not comparable to pentium for a long time now because those dam intel chips always have dual channel support.

warlock110 said:
i heard there's dual channel support for venice, is that true? lol we need that for AMD cuzz their memory bandwith is not comparable to pentium for a long time now because those dam intel chips always have dual channel support.

What? huh?

All socket 939 have Dual channel. FX-55 and 4000's are ahead of P4's in bandwith. Infact most 939 are better.

C_MAC said:
Will AMD will still continue the s939 line a bit more after the new socket( :mad: ) for ddr2 comes out?

I doubt it. The move to DDR2 is designed to put an end to the multitude of K8 sockets on the market today. If AMD designs for both DDR2 and s939, then it's going to exhaust too many of it's resources. I don't think they will cancel productions immediately, but s939 will face a gradual death pending AMD's adoption of DDR2.

deception``

Yeah what do u mean P4 are ahead?!?! the new A64 pretty much meat and in most cases beat a P4 specially the FX-55 and the = of it...besides lol XP's had DC mem also...

Ok.....THIS nonsense is *BULL****!* Some days I aske myself WHY..WHY god did I not get an LGA775 :-/

I can still fix that and if AMD keeps this **** up I will. I sense a 640F is in my immediate future.

Sentential said:
Ok.....THIS nonsense is *BULL****!* Some days I aske myself WHY..WHY god did I not get an LGA775 :-/

I can still fix that and if AMD keeps this **** up I will. I sense a 640F is in my immediate future.

You should be moving to watercooling sooner than you think :)

deception``

deception`` said:
You should be moving to watercooling sooner than you think :)

deception``
I doubt it. Unbeliveably pissed off right now.....grrrrrrr. I was under the specific impression that in 1 month I'd have a new CPU.

Either way I have to get a new one. This 3200+ is driving me nuts. Unstable as hell, unreliable and down right piece of ****. And NOW i gotta live this this thing another 6 months? Nah ah NOT hapeneing.

Gonna see how the new dual-core Intels operate. I need new RAM as well and I for *damn* sure aint gonna buy a set of SDRAM when it is quite obvious that AMD doesnt have their **** straight.

Atleast with a 640F I could knock out my neccessary GB of DDR2

<off to newegg to price out an AG8 and CPU>

Sentential said:
I doubt it. Unbeliveably pissed off right now.....grrrrrrr. I was under the specific impression that in 1 month I'd have a new CPU.

Either way I have to get a new one. This 3200+ is driving me nuts. Unstable as hell, unreliable and down right piece of ****. And NOW i gotta live this this thing another 6 months? Nah ah NOT hapeneing.

Gonna see how the new dual-core Intels operate. I need new RAM as well and I for *damn* sure aint gonna buy a set of SDRAM when it is quite obvious that AMD doesnt have their **** straight.

Atleast with a 640F I could knock out my neccessary GB of DDR2

<off to newegg to price out an AG8 and CPU>

1. Remember that all dual cores will run slower than single cores for quite some time. The architecture might be advanced, but they will be lacking to software to truly make them attractive to enthusiasts and the average consumer alike.

2. When I made the w/c comment, I was referring to your desire to look into a P4.

3. Before you decide to jump ship, let's discuss some of your options later this evening.

deception``

Sen forgive me if it's not my place, but why don't you just eBay your chip and go for a new winnie? It's pretty clear you got an early stepping that's a poor OCer. Perhaps a nice new CBBID would make awaiting Venice easy.

Man this sucks i was going to build a new system around the venice. Is it a good idea to just go with A64 winch. and NForce4 now.

So let me get this right we won't see a A64 3200 or 3500 venice til late 2005?

s0ulcal12 said:
Man this sucks i was going to build a new system around the venice. Is it a good idea to just go with A64 winch. and NForce4 now.

So let me get this right we won't see a A64 3200 or 3500 venice til late 2005?

If you had read one of my earlier posts, then you would know that there is nothing wrong with buying a current Winchester.

deception``

I think this 'delay' is only from Q1 2005 to Q2 2005 for Venice, but some of us never epected Venice to be here in Q1 in the first place.

There will be no DDR2 for Socket 939, only Socket M2, that appeared to be certain from before.

Back