• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5 needs to be heated for a while, to work right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

Skip to the last 3 lines of text for the short version of the question. Or grab a bawls and relax over the long version.

Ok I installed a my Hyper48 cooler onto my 2.8C P4 with AS5. I have been using a cold air duct that even under 100% load would keep the CPU around 19C at the very MAX. However daily use was around 10C. I was turning the machine off at night. Well recently I got into the habbit of leaving the rig on at night, but turning all the fans off or to there lowest settings.

When I would get up in the AM, CPU and MB temps are usually 29-30C I flip the fans back on and the temps go back down.

Well since I started with the leave on overnight and let it stay at warm temps for a long time. The CPU temps have started to really stabalize.

As an experemint. I dropped the cold air duct to minimum speeds. Idle was 20c, fired up UT2K4 and started playing. Note this cpu is running over 1.6 vcore and 250fsb. (2.8c @ 3.5c, 1.6-1.66 vcore)

My temps rose only 3-5c over idle temps. MB went from 20 up to 21 and cpu went from 20 up to 24,25 and they hovered around there.

It was never this stable before. It only started doing this after I let it get hot and stay hot overnights. (to me any temp over 35c is too hot) For some strange reason everything gets unstable and starts to crash at around 38-40c with this chip I hated it at first but I learned to work around it.

Is it possible that AS5 NEEDS to be heated and left heated for an extended period of time to seat itself into the cracks.
I am not talking just a quick 30min burn in, but a long 6-8hr session.

You are right... AS5 works better after the cpu is burned in.

run prime for a few hours... let cool... run prime for a few hours... etc

I have always known that TC needed to sink in over a few days, but I and I believe many people out there do not know that it takes a CPU running at a high temp hours on end to ever properly sink/fill in.

I wonder how many people are out there that put TC on there moms computer or dads computer and they never game with it, or do run Prime. The computer gets turned off after each use. The TC never really does liquify.

Just a little thing that I dont think I have ever seen talked about in detail.

How Hot and for How Long does it take for differnt Thermal Compounds to break down. I would guess that the best stuff actully takes the longest.

AS5 needs to heat and completely cool (power off) in cycles for between 50-200 hours before it sets properly. My current paste job dropped 5c over about two weeks of normal use. That's pretty good I think. :beer:

Perseus said:
AS5 needs to heat and completely cool (power off) in cycles for between 50-200 hours before it sets properly. My current paste job dropped 5c over about two weeks of normal use. That's pretty good I think. :beer:

This is what I was going to mention :)

i personally never saw a drop in temps from the moment i put the stuff on. Ive applied AS5 on many cpus with many different heatsinks and saw no drop in temps with use..... but then again that might be because as soon as I get a new cpu I overclock it almost immediately.

Back