• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what mem will the x800xl use 2.0ns or 1.6ns?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukemurmur

as said what mem will the xl use as 2.0ns is 500mhz and that is its supposed operating speed...so that mean very little oc or extra head room will a co put out a "gold sample" with 1.6ns or is 2.0 the max?

so basicly if you want the faster ram you have to pay for it in the for of "golden sample" cards?

However, even with the 'slower' RAM, 550 MHz+ without a voltage modification is not shabby at all.

For the price you pay, these cards are excellent in every way.

I highly doubt that a 'Golden Sample' XL will ever be produced. All a 'Golden Sample' is, is a card with special speed-binned components, or higher grade components (GC16>GC20). Right now, neither the core or RAM the XL uses is practical or possible to speed bin, or replace with higher grade parts.

GC16 is still in way too high demand, with inadequate supply, to "waste" using in an XL 'Golden Sample', when it instead needs to be used in a very wide range of higher-end video cards.

The XL core is unique so far - no other models use this core, a core which is also still in its early days, and apparantly not performing extremely well just yet.

By the time the process has matured enough that speed binning these cores aggressively, in order to make reliable 'Golden Sample' cards, is even a possiblity, ATi will want to release a higher-end model using the process - the speed bin will go there before it ever makes its way into a 'Golden Sample'.

You want to get a Golden Sample X800 XL? Buy yourself a shiny X800 XT, pretty much the same difference :).

well i ment that like sometimes some manufactures put on faster ram then what is needed. or like gainwards golden samples they do it iwh 6600's so an X800xl wouldn't be so bad...as fare as cooling the ram will have chilled water and core chilled water and a tec...it will also have a volt mod...so if it costs an extra 50 buxs then it does...by the time i buy the card it will have a few new steppins out as i am waiting for Venice...

Back