• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Theremal paste woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sneaky said:
alternate??? :eh?: its the recommended method by the manufacturer! :drool:

No he means mounting the heatsink differently I think. Like using screws and a backplate instead of brackets or something.

I think some of the IHS are verrrry slightly domed and designed to deflect under hsf mounting pressure, therefore you might end up with not enough thermal compound right over the core, because of how it creates a slight vacuum around it when it deflects downward, unless you apply the blob in the middlle and let it settle naturally. If you spread a thin even layer on an IHS then apply the heatsink you end up with a situation where the paste around the edges is thicker, when it deflects, and is actually holding off the middle of the sink from making good contact above the core, I think. At least that's how I understand it works with IHS.

Back