• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A8V & Zalman CNPS7000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

montesomma

Registered
I just bought a Asus A8V and Zalman CNPS7000,but i can`t figure out how to install the heatsink,i explane to you why!!
The frickin` motherboard it came with a "fixed" metal plate attached under the motherboard where the CPU connection are!!!!
Now the Zalman it came also with a metal plate to be attached,under the mobo but i can`t connect it,because the space is already taken from the other plate.
Am i going crazy or i am doing somethink wrong!!!!????? :bang head.
Please help me!
Thank you!!!
Rob

zalman 7000

I purchased a Zalman 7000 and put it on an Asus A8n sli deluxe. You can install the HS and fan to the factory metal plate but you will have to go buy the right length and thread size bolts and not use the zalman set up. I did this and all is working fine. Do not tighten the bolts too tight just get them snug where the HS and fan do not move. the 7000 is an awsome unit.
Good luck

I thought I read somewhere that you can remove the metal backplate from that Asus motherboard by heating it up with a hair dryer, then prying it off. Then you can just attach the plate that comes with the Zalman. I have that CPU cooler, and it works great! Good luck!

I am in the exact same boat. Why Zalman would put the A8V on the compatible list, and then not have the correct hardware to install the 7000 is very dissapointing. I will not be taking a hair dryer to this board, that's forsure. I guess I'll have to try and find the correct hardware myself if I choose to keep this heatsink.

RideGuy

PS - I'm going to E-mail Zalman. I'll post any responce I get back from them.

UPDATE:

Just found this in the FAQ on the Zalman website.

Title: Removing backplate of AMD socket 754,939,940 Single, 940 Dual, and is it necessory to remove the back plate?
Date: 10:55:00 am, Feb. 04, 2005
Hit: 1

Yes, it is compulsory to remove your backplate of the AMD motherboard in order to install our cooler to your motherboard.

To remove the back plate of your motherboard, here are the little instructions that you may follow.

You have to remove the motherboard, turn it over, put it on a firm surface (make sure you're grounded) and basically pry the existing backplate away. It comes away quite easily; DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE. try using a credit card or something similar to lever it off.

Above method is a swift way. Another way we prefer is to put the motherboard on the floor with its bottom side down without touching the floor for half a day. Then, sticking force of the backplate becomes so weak that user can easily detach the backplate with his hand.

The other way is simply melting the existing glue of the backplate with a hair dryer. Just warm up the backplate for about 1 minute,and it will come off quite easily!

If you follow the instructions as we mentioned above, it will be easy for you to take your back plate off.

They must have just posted this. Check out the "hit" and the "date".

RideGuy

Another UPDATE:

Got this E-mail today.

I have been told for that specific ASUS motherboard, A8V-Deluxe, you can use the existing backplate. Just use the screws that came with the cooler packaging. In the event the cooler cannot be securely fastened down with the stock backplate, you can use a hot blowdryer to heat the adhesive that binds the backplate to the motherboard. After heating, use a flat tool to gently pry off the backplate.

From the instructions in the FAQ, I left my motherboard sitting out last night. I hope I can get the back plate off without using a hair blower.

RideGuy

Keep us updated: I may end up with the same motherboard when I upgrade to a S939 system and I plan to keep my Zalman. I'd like to avoid a painful installation!

I have the Asus A8V Deluxe and the Zalman 7700 AlCu.

Its pretty simple to remove the backplate. Don't pry or scrape or use a hairdryer or any other BS like that. Just hold the motherboard firmly and push slowly on the 2 mounting posts of backplate that poke through the front of the motherboard. Push on one, then the other. There is some adhesive they used to attach the thing, but it should come off pretty easily without scraping or prying. That way you dont need to risk damaging anything.

FINAL UPDATE:

I tried to force the backplate off one last time. It wouldn't budge. I was still able to mount the 7000, and it was dead simple.

I just used the screws that where holding the original stock plastic base to the back plate. They are a little long, and come a bit further out the back of the board than I'd like, but it worked perfactly. I didn't use a single piece of hardware that came with the 7000. It's kinda funny actually.

RideGuy

Back