• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at this Dell for my first Laptop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Installing memory is a breeze. Almost easier than installing it in your desktop. You just unscrew the bottom and insert the memory in at a 45°C angle and then snap it down. Takes like 30 sec's total. Very easy. I've always been a big fan of having a gig of ram because it speeds everything up. Windows load's faster. Folders open faster. It just helps out a lot. Is it a single 512 stick that they are upgrading too or 2*256?
l
I'm not sure on the hdd. I really doubt that it would void the warranty because you can keep the warranty even when you install ram or a vidcard yourself. Seem's like as long as you kept the Windows disc that they wouldn't care one way or another.

I cant see the ram deal anymore... but having 2 sticks of 256 is 50 bucks more (over a single), but for a single 512 it's an extra 100... I will have to look into newegg for some comparison prices I suppose. Will any brand of memory work, or is Dell limiting me to only purchasing their manufacturers' ram?

I see... I take it that the mobo only has two slots for ram, correct? My parents' desktop only has two as well. At any rate... I noticed that on the mobiles, the ram only came in PC2700 flavors, what gives? Isn't the fsb @ 200, or maybe they don't run then in sync for some reason? That's really wierd.

Also, could my Logitech MX1000 work w the blue tooth adapter?

Yes, there are only two slots for RAM.

Pentium Mobile processors run at 533 MHz FSB instead of the 800 MHz FSB that the full P4s run at, so the memory runs slower as well (instead of 200 MHz quad-pumped, it's 133 MHz quad-pumped, or 533 MHz.)

All of the Dell laptops run off pc2700 ram except for the XPS which uses DDR400 in DC. But yeah, this is the ram that I bought from the Egg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-155-122&depa=0

Beware that the timings are not what they post. They are 3-3-4 or something like that but when a gig is 154 bucks......... I didn't really care that much. And yes, the laptop only has two dimm slots in it.

Nice price for that ram... so if I get a lappy with 256, then I could sell that (for maybe 30 bucks?). That's something worth looking into.

I really like the 9200 model, I seem to get it down to $1,500, but that's with only 1.6gig Mobile. The only reason I like it is bc the 17" widescreen. That sounds so good, I wish they had something like that available for the cheaper ones.

That "only" 1.6 Ghz mobile is what I have. It is a Pentium M and so their speed equivalent is a little different. You know how a 2 Ghz AMD XP is the equivalent with a 2.5 Ghz P4? That's kind of what this cpu is like. It is plenty quick for what you'll be doing. I can game very well with it ( Half Life 2 and UT2004) and have it folding 24/7. It finishes WU's faster than my 2.6 Ghz AXP. Go to the bottom of this spec sheet and it shows you the difference between the Pentium M and the Pentium 4 mobile. Click on Performance Summary I guess.

http://www.intel.com/performance/resources/briefs/mobiletechnology.pdf

You might read up on it a little more but I'm definitely happy with my 1.6 Ghz P-M

enduro said:
That "only" 1.6 Ghz mobile is what I have. It is a Pentium M and so their speed equivalent is a little different. You know how a 2 Ghz AMD XP is the equivalent with a 2.5 Ghz P4? That's kind of what this cpu is like. It is plenty quick for what you'll be doing. I can game very well with it ( Half Life 2 and UT2004) and have it folding 24/7. It finishes WU's faster than my 2.6 Ghz AXP. Go to the bottom of this spec sheet and it shows you the difference between the Pentium M and the Pentium 4 mobile. Click on Performance Summary I guess.

http://www.intel.com/performance/resources/briefs/mobiletechnology.pdf

You might read up on it a little more but I'm definitely happy with my 1.6 Ghz P-M

Thanks for the info man, it's definitely what I wanted to hear. This means that I can get a inspiron 9100 for 1500 bones! Very well, thanks for the help and knowledge all!

I'm still wondering if I could use my mx1000 with the blue tooth adapter though.... there is also this other mouse from logitech I think that I am looking at; it has touch sensetive buttons in the middle (somewhere around that), I think that would be a pretty nice notebook mouse. :)

I'm a Dell technician at the call center here in Nashville. I take calls on XPS systems (Dimension and Inspiron). Whatever you do, don't get the Inspiron XPS, those things are friggin loud. The 9200's are nice, but I'd say wait until the 9300 comes out and check it out before you buy the 9200, I think the ETA on it is Valentine's Day.

betterlife18 said:
I'm a Dell technician at the call center here in Nashville. I take calls on XPS systems (Dimension and Inspiron). Whatever you do, don't get the Inspiron XPS, those things are friggin loud. The 9200's are nice, but I'd say wait until the 9300 comes out and check it out before you buy the 9200, I think the ETA on it is Valentine's Day.

thanks for the heads up, I will definitely wait a little bit. I wasnt even thinking about the XPS, I dont need such performance out of a laptop. Do you predict the prices jumping for the 9300? I am seeing them go up a bit at first, but then they will go back down after a little while... is that right?

Do you know what's supposed to be new for the 9300?

are you able to give out discounts? :D

betterlife18 said:

Ooh, ooh! I have a question. . .I have an Inspiron 5160 with the GF 5200 64 MB video card; is this laptop upgradable with, say, a 128MB Radeon card or something?

Just curious. . .:)

LOL, that has to be the most asked question of every laptop user :D This is the answer that I have gotten from many Dell techs. " If the manufacturer does not offer the upgrade on their site (aka Dell doesn't offer it as a replacement part) then the chances that you'll be able to add the card are next to 0. So I'd check out Dell's replacement part area and if it isn't offered then you're out of luck. It really sucks that they can't make a laptop standard so users can upgrade their vidcards. That would an awesome feature.

Yes the video card is upgradable on the Dell laptops, BUT, there's a price to pay. If you replace it yourself and Dell finds out about it, your warranty is BLOWN (because the video card is a FRU/field replaceable unit, not a CRU/customer replaceable unit). What you can do is call sales and order the "video card upgrade service", which includes an onsite technician to come out and install it for you, but that's a hardcore rip off.

As for the pricing on the 9300, not sure. There's always some sort of rebate going on. When you order it, make sure you do it online, NOT over the phone. The people in the sales department are stupid blonde chicks who don't know jack about computers. There will be two video card choices for the 9300, the X300 mobility and the GeForce 6800 Go (I'd go with the 6800 Go).

Have you overclocked your FX5200 Go yet? IF you haven't, download the NVidia reference drivers and use coolbits, you can't prolly bring up the core and memory at least 10% on it. (Just don't tell Dell you did it). Make sure you have good ambient temps, you know the whole bit.

I thought about overclocking my 9600 but for how much I paid for this lappie I don't want to break it. For such a small boost it didn't seem worth the risk.

Back